The student news site of Parkway South High School. All opinion pieces represent the views of the writer alone, not the school or district.

Treaty

Treaty

Treaty

Art, activism, achievements

South High celebrates Black History Month
On the first day of Black History Month, sophomore Alex Swopshire gives a prize to sophomore Colin Walters after he answered a trivia question correctly. Photo courtesy of @asap_psouth

South High was full of pride and activities this February, during Black History Month.

Ever wondered why Black History Month is celebrated during February? Carter G. Woodson, a famous black author, editor, publisher, and historian earned the role in establishing Black History Month. Carter chose February to represent the birthdays of important Americans who played a big role in shaping black history, most importantly Abraham Lincoln and Fredrick Douglass whose birthdays are celebrated on the 12th and 14th of February.

One important event at South High occurred in the theater on Feb. 21. South hosted a Black History Month celebration which included a graffiti artist, a performance by the middle school step team. In addition, DeeJay Lee, Darraugh Jones, Erin Robinson and Tajae Barr spoke about the Black History Month exhibit at the St. Louis Art Museum. On Feb. 13 the library hosted a Makerspace where students could make bracelets and buttons. Everyone also had a blast at Friday lunch shifts when Assistant Principal Brionne Smith played music from black artists.

“We are doing a pretty good amount to honor Black History Month and this month’s theme is all about black arts,” senior Joseph Wofford said. 

South also hosted activities that helped educate students.

“We are doing trivia, playing a playlist at lunch, maker space, door decoration contest, and there is much more we are hopeful to do,” Smith said.  

Thirteen different committees were involved with ensuring Black History Month was honored enough here at South. 

“One of the biggest reasons I decided to become president of ASAP is because I wanted to do more to honor Black History Month,” Wofford said. 

When trying to celebrate Black History Month, South was careful with the activities they used to honor this month, according to Smith. 

“I wish I had a blueprint because it is a gray area when you deal with anything race-related. It can be sensitive and it can be like maneuvering on very tricky land,” Smith said. 

The first thing South engaged in to kick off the Month was a door decorating contest. Teachers worked on decorating their doors to represent Black History Month. The top two departments earned lunch for the whole department. The winners this year were the science department placing first and the English department placing second. 

“The door decoration contest transforms our hallways to a sense of unity that I think is important,” Smith said. 

Smith said everyone at South was encouraged to participate in the various Black History Month activities. 

“I don’t want only the African American students involved in Black History Month, I want all the students to be involved,” Smith said.“Black History Month is important to me because it is my culture and I love sharing my culture, I love being a black woman.”