The student news site of Parkway South High School. All opinion pieces represent the views of the writer alone, not the school or district.

Treaty

Treaty

Treaty

South Loves Lucy

Lucy the therapy dog comforts South students through snuggles and pats
South Loves Lucy

Once a month during Ac. Lab, Parkway South High has a special visitor in the library. 

Lucy, the therapy dog, is a school celebrity; many people love to see her during her visits. But how did this ever come to be?

South High librarian Katie Pendleton explained where they got the idea to bring a therapy dog to school.

“We’ve seen therapy dogs being used in other places and it was always an idea that we had…so the year that Mrs. Murray came, she got it rolling and approved. We found Lucy in another Parkway school; that’s how we got her name and her contact,” Pendleton said.

Pendleton said the idea behind having a therapy dog is to encourage positive reinforcement and spark discussions within a group. The dog is usually there to calm nerves, or even spark conversation. 

Many students have found Lucy comforting. Whether they are there to pet her or face topical discussions, Lucy welcomes all.

Lucy only comes once per month, and only a certain amount of students can sign up to see her. Despite this, senior Khiarat Shittu said she makes the time out of her ac. lab to see her every time she comes.

“I don’t like dogs, but Lucy…I don’t know, she’s different. It was sophomore year I think, I went for myself, then I just kept going. The lady was nice. I told her I feared dogs, and she said Lucy was nice. I think it’s very inviting, and I wish you didn’t have to sign up for it–everyone should see Lucy. This is my final year, but I hope she keeps coming,” Shittu said.

Research shows that therapy animals have popped up in schools across America in the past decade due to the psychological benefits of pets being around. Research shows that kids who often visit therapy animals have less anxiety and strengthen social skills due to the protective nature an animal can bring.

Other schools across the states even have permanent therapy animals. In 2023 the Ladue School District welcomed its newest staff member, Jaguar. He’s from a local non-profit organization and trained in quarantine to become a service dog. Now, he goes from schools within the Ladue district to help children needing a comforting pal. His efforts aren’t in vain either, students in Ladue Elementary say Jaguar helps them open up to many things, such as talking about home life and allowing teachers and counselors to give proper counseling, all thanks to their furry friend. 

Most recently, Lucy’s owner Pam Blanton brought her to school on March 8 for a scheduled session.

Blanton talked about how she first adopted Lucy.

“We were looking for two Golden puppies, and we found some down in South Missouri. She has a sister at home, her name is Maggie. I got her when she was 8 weeks old, had her ever since,” she said. Lucy is now about 8 years old.

Blanton also talked about how Lucy ended up being a therapy dog.

“She’s been to all kinds of classes. She has her canine good citizenship. While we were taking one of those classes, my instructor did ‘Love on a Leash’ which is a national organization of pet therapy dogs. She said ‘I think Lucy would be great’ and she passed. She’s been doing this now for 5 years. We go to two nursing homes and four schools,” Blanton said.

Lucy’s journey from her puppy years to now has seemed to always be about pleasing the people around her. According to her owner, she can light up a room, and with how high school life can be, this fun dog is always welcome in our school.

“I’m thrilled for her. She likes it!” Blanton said.