The student news site of Parkway South High School. All opinion pieces represent the views of the writer alone, not the school or district.

Treaty

Treaty

Treaty

Sass, songs, social commentary

Theatre prepares to put on Mean Girls
Joseph Wofford
Junior Samantha Lips will be playing the character of Regina George in the upcoming musical, ‘Mean Girls.’

Here at South High, a spring musical is held every other year. This year, the drama department is putting on Mean Girls–the cult classic film turned musical, adapted for the high school palette.

“Mean Girls” is a film from 2004, focusing on a girl named Cady Heron, who moves from South Africa to Illinois, and she’s forced to adapt to high school life. She quickly finds how everyone in high school is divided, and has to find a group of her own to associate with. She finds herself in a group named “The Plastics,” and over time, she realizes just how shallow her new-found friends really are.

The musical was adapted to play form in 2017 and opened on Broadway that same year. In 2024, the musical will be adapted into a film, allowing “Mean Girls” to see the Big Screen once more. 

Theatre Director Jennifer Forrest-James said she’s excited to put on this spring musical.

“It’s a new show; there’s a lot of people in here that want to do it, and we believe we have the talent,” she said.

Because the performance is still months away,  a lot more of the show will be finished, so not all roles have been taken yet. However, the few actors who do have roles assigned are happy in the direction of the play so far.

“I hope people find it funny and not annoying…I also hope people will not expect it to be a carbon copy of the musical since it wouldn’t be an adaptation if it’s the same,” Senior Jax Walker said. Walker is playing Aaron Samuels, one of the many leading roles.

Freshman Kyle Holmes is playing Kevin Gnapoor, a zany and comedic relief character in the film and musical.

“It’s set in a high school environment. It’s about how easily rumors can spread and how people can be popular, unpopular. It’s realistic,” Holmes said. He said he thinks the play can maybe help out students who deal with issues the characters experience. 

Junior Samantha Lips will play Regina George, the main girl/antagonist.

“Regina is really mean, and her on Broadway was done so well. I definitely plan to study the character so I can do her justice.” Lips said.

The play is set to show on Feb 7-10 in the South High Theater. Tickets will be on sale before then. Information on purchasing tickets will be sent to student emails and posters will be hung up with a QR code to purchase tickets.

When asked what they thought about the play overall, Holmes gave an answer that they all agreed with.

“It gets a little hard, but I really like it, it’s all worth it” Holmes said.