The student news site of Parkway South High School. All opinion pieces represent the views of the writer alone, not the school or district.

Treaty

Treaty

Treaty

Crook Takes State

Senior Carter Crook wins state in backstroke
Senior+Carter+Crook+gets+ready+to+enter+the+water+for+his+backstroke+race+at+the+state+championships%2C+
Senior Carter Crook gets ready to enter the water for his backstroke race at the state championships,

Senior Carter Crook officially took the state title for swimming in the 100-yard backstroke, as well as a state record with it, coming in at :49.79. 

“With the help of my coaches, Blakleigh Mathes, and Jeremy Nichols, as well as the support of his teammates, I made it to where I am now,” Crook said.

Crook credited his parents for helping him get to where he is in his swimming career.

“My parents always held me accountable, and taught me how to be the hardest worker I can be,” he said.

Assistant Coach Jeremy Nichols said Crook definitely earned his state title.

“His dedication never takes a yard off, with constant best effort. His leadership comes with expecting the best out of himself and teammates,” Nichols said. 

Crook talked about how it felt when he realized he took home the title for South High.

“It felt surreal to me. It was crazy to see ‘1’ next to my name for the first time in my life at state, and it’s been a dream I’ve tried to reach for, my whole life,” Crook said.

Crook’s teammate, junior Colin Shaffer, has been swimming with Carter for 11 years.

“Carter constantly pushes himself and the people around him. He is also a great captain as he balances hard work and discipline with enjoying the process,” he said. 

Crook said he actually didn’t want to be a swimmer when he was little, but his big sister, Kirsten,  pushed him to do so. 

“And it worked,” Crook said.

Crook’s sister graduated from South High in 2015, and swam with the team as well.

Carter has dedicated a big portion of his life to swimming, and will continue to move forward with the sport, with his commitment to Missouri State University, where he will be joining the swim team.