South High teacher of the year 2015

English teacher Lisa Giljum to take the cake

“It’s very flattering and it’s nice to be recognized by your colleagues” said Giljum.

Giljum also has a chance to become Parkway’s Teacher of the Year, and if she does, then next she can become Missouri’s Teacher of the Year according the Aitch. Teacher of the Year is decided upon based on which teachers are nominated and then other teachers vote for them based on how they treat students, their work in the classroom, and other factors.

English teacher Ted Faulhaber said he thinks Giljum was the right teacher for the award.

“She is a good representative for the teachers. She is a very dedicated and hardworking teacher who cares a lot about her students,” said Faulhaber.

Principal Patrice Aitch said that teachers are nominated for teacher of the year by their peers and are decided by what they do with kids in class.

“Teacher of the Year is a traditional way to recognize teachers for their hard work. We have so many great teachers here at South, that if it were up to me we would have 2-3 Teachers of the Year,” said Aitch.

Becoming Teacher of the Year is great, but like Uncle Ben said “with great power comes great responsibility”.

“It’s a lot of work. I had to write 6 essays, but I did get a big giant trophy from student activities that stays in my room for a few weeks,” said Giljum.

Faulhaber said he thinks Teacher of the Year should earn a bonus or receive a gift for all their hard work.

“20 years ago when I taught at Lafayette, the Teacher of the Year used to receive a big rocking chair,” said Faulhaber.

Students also agree that Giljum deserves Teacher of the Year. Freshman Charles Strong said you know she is a good teacher if she earned the award. Strong has Giljum in his English 1 class.

“She teaches the content well and helps you if you don’t understand. She also holds you at high expectations,” said Strong.

Freshmen Sophia Mihulka also thinks it’s exciting that Giljum got the award. She said some of the things they do in class are different from other teachers.

“We do a lot of writing and interactive stuff with partners and groups in her class,” said Mihulka.

Mihulka said there is more talking and teacher interaction in Giljum’s class, and Strong agrees.

“We do about 10 minutes for reading and for the majority of the time we discuss

a topic,” said Strong.

Strong also thinks she does a good job at teaching.

“The kids who are struggling get a good grade because she stays after and helps

them,” said Strong.

“It’s always nice to have your colleagues nominate you and  it’s nice to be recognized,” said Giljum.