Festival of foods

It’s that time of the year again- April 20th marked the 16th anniversary of Parkway South’s Festival of Foods.

The fundraiser is organized by South High parents to support a fun, safe and alcohol/drug-free After-Graduation Party for the Senior Class of 2016.

“It was my first time going to the festival and I really didn’t know what to expect. I have only heard what my older siblings have told me.  My mom had the opportunity to volunteer and help set up for the festival,” said junior Kara Alexander.  “I got to eat snow cones from Tropical Snow, and a blizzard from Dairy Queen. It was really nice to see the community come together with all of the variety of foods and put on the festival at our school. It was a good experience and I plan on attending the festival again next year.”

With a ten dollar ticket students had the opportunity to try foods from 30 different local restaurants in the community.

The event features local restaurants that provide samples of their house specialties.  Local restaurants that participated during the festival included, Which Wich, Callier’s Deli, McAlister’s Deli, BBQ ASAP, Viviano’s, El Nopal, Krieger’s, Bellacinos, Five Guys, Corner Pub, Bravo!, Cucina Italiana, Starbucks, Qdoba, Chick-Fil-A, Candicci’s and more!

“It was a good time but a lot busier than I thought, and it turned out to be really nice,” said junior Chloe Crandall.

Also just for ten dollars people could participate in a huge silent auction. Among this year’s donations there were trips, gift baskets, family and golf outings, and restaurant gift certificates given out to those who had the highest bid.

“I really enjoyed the festival. I got to see my friends and got to eat a lot of food,” said freshman Caylee Clemons. “As well as eating food I had the chance to go and watch part of the Varsity Lacrosse game that was being played down at the stadium with some of my close friends.”

In addition to great food there were also performances from multiple groups and solo performers which included junior, Kate Andrea, ‘The Public’, 5 Finger Discount, also known as 5FD, who performed ‘The Dancing Game Improv”, Step Team, and The Big Break Competition, junior Madison Applegate.

“It was a family friendly environment and I enjoyed seeing my friends and eating the food,” said freshman Kyle Reeds. “I came from volleyball practice and seeing all of the food in the commons was a great experience because I was really hungry after a hard working practice.”

For your admission you had an option to eat whatever you want from 30 different restaurants around the St. Louis area.

“I like food a lot and enjoyed the variety of foods that I got to choose from; I got to have Fro Yo, my favorite yogurt shop, with some of my friends,” said sophomore, MacKenna Morgan.

While some people ate the food from restaurants, others had a different response.

“I honestly got really emotional seeing all of the food.” said freshman Anna Hanley. “I love food and it was such a breathtaking sight.  I ate so much food and had a really good time.”