The student news site of Parkway South High School. All opinion pieces represent the views of the writer alone, not the school or district.

Treaty

Treaty

Treaty

Fan of the tan

Junior’s business will give you a golden glow in the middle of winter
Zsofia Clayton
Junior Annie Jaco poses for a promotional picture with her tanning fun.

Do you miss that summer glow you had just three months ago? Especially during these cold winter months?

Well, there is now a solution for you and a convenient one if you go to South High. Junior Annie Jaco has started a spray tanning business where she gives spray tans in her own home and she travels to her clients’ homes. You can do spray tanning virtually anywhere because the artist can use a portable booth that pops up. 

Jaco started her business about a month ago and is already loving it. Starting a business can be very scary and stressful, especially for a teen but Jaco decided to take that risk.

“My mom inspired me to start my business,” she said. 

Spray tanning is marketed as a safer alternative to UV rays and is very quick and easy, according to Jaco. 

“The whole process takes less than 30 minutes and lasts longer than self-tanning,” she said. 

Jaco described the self-tanning process. First, she chooses a color for her clients, sprays them, drys them and they are pretty much good to go. The prices vary depending on what type of tan you get, if you get a “Signature spray tan” that will cost $25 and if you get a “Mobile spray tan” that costs $35. Jacos rates are similar to a brick-and-mortar shop’s tanning rates, at Palm Beach Tan in St. Louis it costs $30 for a non-member to get a tan. A spray tan typically lasts 2-3 weeks depending on how well you follow the instructions. Spray tanning is the only service she offers as of now but more could come in the future. 

It can be difficult to balance all of your schoolwork, and adding on the stress of a small business could be very hard. 

Jaco commented on the most important thing to remember when starting your own business.

“Don’t care what other people say and take time to plan out your business idea because things take time and if you start too fast without learning enough you could make a lot of silly mistakes,” she said. 

However, she also creates fun within her business, Jaco says her favorite thing about her business is “getting to create content and spray her friends.” She posts updates and promotes her business on her Instagram account.

Many at South have started supporting Jaco’s business including Junior Kiah Morgner.

“I would recommend getting a tan from her, and I really enjoyed how mine looked,” she said.

If you are interested in getting a tan from Annie’s spray tanning business contact her on Instagram @annasprays.