The student news site of Parkway South High School. All opinion pieces represent the views of the writer alone, not the school or district.

Treaty

Treaty

Treaty

South serves

South High schedules Day of Service for April 18
South serves

Parkway South is hosting an event for the whole school, which will impact the school itself, the St. Louis County area, and the whole Parkway community. This event is called the Parkway South Day of Service and will be held on April 18.

The main goal of this day is to “cultivate leadership skills within the hearts and minds of our students,” said math teacher Anne Erehart,  who is helping students get ready for the Day of Service. 

“I have a heart for serving the community,” Erehart said. She said she will be directing students to different communities, parks, homes, and schools that may need the help of South’s students. Whether it’s painting murals, picking up trash, making a community garden, or providing food for the homeless shelters, Erehart and her students have thought of it all. 

“There are four chairmen in this project that are part of the service committee” said Ellen Piotraschke, who is one of the four chairs of the event, said, “Places like Meramec Bluffs, Cape Albeon, food pantries, and elementary schools are all being reached out too for this day.”

Senior Cate Sato is also helping to plan the event. 

“I help with setting up, and sponsors, ” she said, “I thought it was fun, and I like helping the community any way I can.” 

The four chairs have been involved in this project since January of 2023, but were not able to start that year because of the late notice of the project. Now entering a new school year, Erehart and her class of students have been working hard every week, to reach out to any types of members of the community to see if they need Parkway South’s help. 

“I’ve been keeping in contact with Manchester Mayor, Mike Clement to help find students’ jobs anywhere,” said Erehart.

Junior Madina Eagal is also helping to plan the Day of Service.

“I thought helping the community would be really great. Parkway South has such a big community that we need to start being more involved with them,” she said.

While many of the community service projects will be off campus, senior Lindsey Unnerstall said there will also be opportunities for students who want to stay at South High. 

“There will be a large mix of jobs for any student at South, but we are focused on helping the custodians clean, or pick up here,” she said.