Story of the ‘moach’

After being a student athlete at South himself, Mr. Mertz is now a math teacher and baseball coach

Mr. Mertz stops for a quick picture before he boards the bus to head to a JV baseball game. Photo by Sofie Bertanjoli.

Have you ever thought about graduating from high school and coming back just four years later? It’s not as uncommon as someone may think. First-year teacher, Jacob Mertz has lived this story himself. Mertz is a new addition to South High, teaching Algebra 1 and coaching JV boys’ baseball. 

Mertz went to Truman State University before transferring to UMSL due to COVID, where he recently graduated. He has gotten experience at Parkway South and is currently in his first year of teaching. He teaches Algebra 1, Repeated Algebra 1, and a virtual Algebra 1 class. Additionally, he is the assistant coach of JV baseball. The school decided to take a chance on Mertz during his first year, and he actually went to high school in the exact place he teaches. 

“I first started this year, and it feels crazy that I get to teach at my own high school. As soon as I saw an opening I knew I wanted to work at South. I talked to the principal about how I was previously a student here and then got the job,” he said.  

Since he graduated in 2016 from Parkway South, Mertz has thought about becoming a teacher and coach, but never imagined that it could happen. He explains the reason he decided to become a “moach,” or math teacher and baseball coach. 

“I loved math in high school; the factoring unit was my favorite and I just sort of stuck with it. As a kid, I also loved playing and watching baseball and I was on the team here at South. It just felt right to me,” he said.

Students feel that Mertz has helped them become more successful with Algebra. He was described as a young, funny, and helpful teacher. Freshman Olivia Flynn commented on why she enjoys Mertz’s class. 

“I’m in Algebra 1 in Mr. Mertz’s class and sometimes I like to go into his ac. lab for extra help. I like him because he’s a funny teacher. The vibe in the room is very lively because he makes sure everyone is talking and paying attention. He’s super easy to talk to,” she said. 

Even students who don’t have Mertz as a teacher know how fun he can be. Freshman Addie Bogad states that she loves how her own math teacher, Mr. Holtmeyer,  and Mr. Mertz share an ac. lab room because when her teacher is busy helping others, Mr. Mertz can step up to make sure she understands her work. 

“He helps me with my work a lot whenever I’m confused and goes over things in detail. I like having him for extra help in ac. lab and he’s a fun spirit. He’s one of the few teachers that can make a joke while also being serious. I’m never scared to ask him a question because he has a welcoming personality,” she said. 

Other than teaching, Mertz has become the JV baseball assistant coach. One of his players, Sophomore Jake Thomson, explains that Mertz has become a great addition to the team. 

“He’s a really fun coach, brings energy, and is pretty likeable. He’s different from other coaches because he jokes a lot, is humorous and has fun,” he said. 

Unfortunately, Mertz explained how he won’t be back next year, as he only has a one-year contract signed with the school. He is thinking about going to Parkway West or Parkway Central. 

“I’ll only be here for about four more months because of my contract. I don’t want to leave, but it’s not really up to me. I’m really gonna miss all my students and players but I’m excited for new opportunities at Parkway West or Central,” he said. 

Overall, it’s no surprise that everyone enjoys having Mertz here at South. Many people wish him the best of luck next year at his new school. Mertz has impacted his students and players whether he realizes it or not, and will clearly be missed by the South High community. 

Freshman Jensen Damier explains how he feels about Mertz’s time at South and his leaving. 

“I can’t believe I won’t see him next year, it’s going to feel a lot different. He pushed me to do my work and pass his class. He’s hilarious and I wish I could have him next year. I think he’s a great addition to South,” he said.