The student news site of Parkway South High School. All opinion pieces represent the views of the writer alone, not the school or district.

Treaty

Treaty

Treaty

From the classroom to California

Three seniors will represent South at the international DECA competition in Anaheim, California
DECA state competitors take a picture while competing in Kansas City.

From local champions to international contenders, a few South High DECA students presented and now are on the way to sunny California to continue their journey. 

Recently, juniors and senior business students competed in the DECA district tournament at Chesterfield Mall.

“At first I was kinda dreading going because I thought I would miss a lot of schoolwork. I didn’t realize I could make it this far,” senior Ezana Eickhoff said.

Juniors Kiah Morgener, Sophia Cramer, Jackie Aguliar, Alyssa Bryant, Grace Fu, Andrew Mullen, and Eric Polach, and seniors Brooke Oberkramer, Caitlyn Schmitt, Ezana Eickhoff, and Alaina Zerega placed at districts and went to Kansas City March 2-4 to compete at state. 

Business teacher John Barnabee accompanied the South students on the trip, along with business teacher Amy Boscan.

“I was really excited this year because I could see the hard work I had watched them put in and I could see them win the awards they deserved,” Barnabee said.

Barnabee will also be traveling with the Eickhoff and seniors Caitlyn Schmitt and Alaina Zerega to the international competition in Anaheim.

“I am excited for Disneyland and of course to get to enjoy something different from things that I’m used to in Missouri,” he said,“and to see west coast things. I also think both projects have a great opportunity.”  

Eickhoff placed second in state for his Integrated Marketing Campaign for the Sullivan Farms Christmas tree lot. Schmitt and Zerega also placed second for their Community Giving Project for the Ollie Hinkle Heart Foundation. 

“I was so overjoyed. I felt like a proud mama bear! I knew how much work they put into all their projects and was extremely happy they were rewarded for their efforts!” Boscan said.

Boscan also kept students that did not place locally informed via her Instagram, ‘@marketingmavenpsh’.

The state convention had events set up for students like a local donation of $5 to be able to pet and play with rescue puppies. They also had 2 different keynote speakers.

“The first night we got to listen to Kevin Wazner. He was a comedian but was super inspirational since he’s gone through so much,” Zerega said. “He made a point to live life like you’re in Hawaii and stay positive like Ohana.” 

The next night students got to see hypnotist Ricky Kalmon. He selected 12 students to perform his hypnosis on. While in the hypnosis, students would perform crazy acts like thinking napkins were $100.

“I wish I was able to get hypnotized. It seemed so much fun! It was hilarious to see,” Oberkramer said. 

Having time between competitions students got to explore Crown Center and areas surrounding Kansas City.

“My favorite part was being able to explore outside. Around us was SeaWorld and LegoLand. We were able to have freetime and walk around, which was really interesting,” Schmitt said. 

As for the actual competitions, it consisted of over 2,000 students from all over the state and over 50 events to compete in. South students competed in many different events like role plays, taking tests, and presenting projects they’ve worked on for months. During the competition, students presented one on one with a judge. In addition, role plays give you 15 minutes to prepare with a special prompt relating to their event. Presentations were also one on one or a team event. Eickhoff, Schmitt, Zerega, and Morgener all competed with their projects while Oberkramer, Bryant, Aguliar, Fu, Mullen, and Polach all competed in different role plays. 

These competitions create real-world experiences while including lots of fun, according to Eickhoff.

“It’s a great experience for me because it better prepares me for what I want to major in, and pursue in the future!” Eickhoff said. 

Boscan said she’is happy with the state results.

“All these students worked so hard and we are both so proud of each and every one of them!” she said.