The High School Grind

Inside look at the jobs of South High students

Junior Kate Wright takes a selfie with a co-worker on horseback at her job at Kraus Farms. Photo by Kate Wright.

From bathing horses to operating laser tag, there are a variety of jobs that South High students work.

In 2021, around 19.4 percent of teenagers between the ages of 16 and 19 were employees while enrolled at school in the United States. This is no different at South High.

For most high school students, working a job outside of school can negatively add to the constant demand for school work, but for a fraction of high school students in America, the high school grind can be more rewarding than the stress it can cause. 

Senior Cameron Moore works at QuikTrip. Moore tends to work Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday, making about $700 a week.

Moore said his job at QuikTrip has been most influential to him in learning time management.

“It definitely has affected time management, at first in a kind’ve negative way,” Moore said. “Originally I fell behind in school, but over time it helped me learn time management.”

Some students may agree that managing their time can be difficult process to learn, but it can become more manageable over time and eventually rewarding.

Junior Kate Wright works at Kraus Farms, Kraus Farms is a horse stable that provides riding lessons for all ages. Wright is one of the teachers there. Wright’s job at Kraus Farms has resulted in both positive and negative factors in regard to her time management.

“It kind of helps me learn how to manage my time a little better, but it is difficult because I take many AP classes and homework is tiring,” said Wright. 

English teacher Nicole Daniels said her first job in high school was at McDonald’s, and then at Sears. She said it was difficult to manage her time with the addition of high school sports.

“I was on the pom squad in high school and I had to manage my time well to get all my work done,” said Daniels.

While there may be some downsides to managing a job as a student, there are some positive upsides such as bonding, and creating relationships with fellow co-workers. 

“I work with all types of people,” Moore said, “Mainly high school students, I have good relationships with some. They (relationships) are important to have.” 

Some students are able to connect with people their own age at a job, but others work with a variety of ages.

“I have good relationships with them but they’re all different age ranges,” Wright said. 

While these students are able to connect with their co-workers on a friendly level, others argue that it’s hard to make connections at all.

Sophomore Vina Dang just started her new job at Amp Up. Amp Up Action Park is an entertainment center that specializes in Go-Karts and Axe Throwing. At Amp Up, Dang operates laser tag and ropes courses. She makes $12.50 an hour. 

“I just started the job recently,” Dang said. “I don’t talk to any workers because they’re spread out. I can’t make connections.” 

Though it’s a plus to gain connections with your coworkers, one major advantage of having a job as a teen is the independence and responsibility you gain. 

“Having a job prepared me for gaining responsibility and time management,” Daniels said. “But I feel like having a job helps some and hurts others who don’t have time.”

Some students feel that they are most independent when they are working, and that independence is connected to many things outside of their job.

“My parents allow me to drive by myself only when I work,” said Dang.

Some students feel like they have more control over their decisions while working. 

“You start deciding what you eat, when you eat, what time you do homework,” said Moore. 

On the contrary, some students may feel less independent at their job. Wright said she actually works with her mom at Kraus Farms.

“My mom started working there too (at the barn), so independence is a little hard,“ Wright said. “However, it helped me gain control (with leadership skills) and forced me to talk to others.”

In addition, students feel that they are able to learn the importance of precedence. 

“Also provides a sense of responsibility. You have to find out where your priorities lie,” said Moore.