Juniors out to lunch

Patriot Out-To-Lunch Pass privileges extended to juniors.

Juniors+Mazin+Nadaf+and+Ethan+Wood+take+a+picture+with+Principal+Angie+Pappas+Muyco+after+getting+the+idea+for+a+Junior+Lunch+Pass+approved.+

Juniors Mazin Nadaf and Ethan Wood take a picture with Principal Angie Pappas Muyco after getting the idea for a Junior Lunch Pass approved.

Off-campus lunch passes are, for the first time ever, a privilege for juniors who meet specific requirements.

The requirements are the same 3 criteria everyone at South is probably becoming familiar with: 95% or above attendance, 3.0 GPA, and overall good behavior at school. 

Juniors have none other than their own class president Ethan Wood and the junior class officers Mazin Nadaf and Sathvik Gandi to thank for this, as they are the ones that pushed for this decision. 

Students who qualify for a lunch pass can go to Jenny Nelson in Assistant Principal Eric Wilhelm’s office to get their passes if they are eligible. 

Choice is an important part of this decision, especially to junior Class President Ethan Wood who said that, ”When we think of positive changes that we want to advocate for, we think of choice.”

The junior class officers are also the ones who implemented the Student Choice Program, where students can vote on foods they would like to see in the lunchroom after seeing samples.

“Lunch was a really big issue for us this year,” said Wood.

Also according to Wood, administrators such as Wilheim and Angie Pappas Muyco were supportive of their idea. The Food Services director, Pamela Rugani, also offered her expertise in this subject.

Although students who are willing to drive themselves around will most likely benefit from it, anyone who qualifies will have an opportunity to get food that they want.

“It’s just cool that they’re actually allowing us to go out to get food that’s not like cafeteria food,” said junior Koko Miller. “It’s pretty much like you’re getting rewarded.”

Juniors who don’t currently drive won’t be left out, though, because the junior class representatives are working on other things that the class of 2024 can benefit from.

The reward of being able to go off campus will grant juniors more freedom, which means the school is trusting its students with more privileges and responsibilities, and the juniors seem to be thankful.

“[Students] get a break, and it’s what kids want,” said assistant principal Brionne Smith.

Junior Ismail Syed said he thinks the lunch passes are a step in the right direction.

“I have to say, I’m actually glad they’re doing it,” he said, “I think it’s a good idea to do it. You know, people will have the freedom.” 

The Commons is also filled during lunch, according to Syed.

“It’s almost like there’s not enough space in the commons for all of us,” he said.

Because juniors are also allowed to leave campus for lunch, they will be clearing more space in the Commons. It will also benefit the kitchen staff to put up with the food demands as they are currently “really really understaffed,” Wood said. 

Junior Corinne Bale worries there may not be enough time in our 30-minute lunches to go get food from somewhere.

“By the time you go somewhere, you’re gonna have to immediately come back,” Bale said. “It takes a lot of time just to even get out of the parking lot. My bus gets home before I do if I drive.”

Miller says the opposite.

“If I drove with someone, I think I’d have enough time,” he said. 

Although time might be a concern for people, many juniors are still excited to be able to have this new option. It not only gives them more freedom, but also gives them a short break from being at school, which could be a good thing for some students. 

The junior representatives aim to create and push for more choice for students in the future. For right now, the choice for juniors to choose their lunch is a very influential one.

“Let students have a choice.” Wood said. “Make school more individualized, because I think that each person has their own issues and each person has their own preferences, and they can choose what works best for them.”