Top Teacher!

Math teacher Anne Erehart receives District TOY honor

Lindsey Unnerstahl

Math teacher Anne Erehart gets a congratulatory hug after learning she is District Teacher of the Year for Parkway.

Out of the thousands of teachers in Parkway, the number 1 teacher this year is a South High Patriot.

On Feb. 23, math teacher Anne Erehart was named District Teacher of the Year.

Erehart commented on what the award meant to her.

“I learned a lot about myself through receiving this award meaning being held accountable to be the best I can be each day for my students and for my colleagues,” said Erehart.

It all started with the nomination and votes from fellow colleagues where she was nominated South’s Teacher of the Year. Then, through a challenging application process, she applied for and won District Teacher of the Year.  

Erehart commented on her experience applying for the award. 

“The application process was both challenging and life-giving because it made me reflect on why I became a teacher and reminded me of my true passion which is making a difference in the lives of teenagers,” said Erehart 

When the news came in Erhart was welcomed by a crowd of people rushing into her room to celebrate her accomplishment. 

“It was overwhelming at first but became one of the highlights of my life and super exciting,” Erehart said. 

Junior Cate Sato has Erehart as her ac. lab teacher. She said she’s happy Erehart received the award.

She deserves Teacher of the Year because she works incredibly hard. She always tries to make everyone smile and help them be the best people they can be. She is also such a great teacher and she has such a great attitude toward everything and every student,” said Sato

Students and teachers throughout the South High community believe that Erhart changes the students’ lives that walk through her doors, including junior Manny Hernandez-Sanchez, who is in one of her classes this year.

“She has helped change my outlook on learning and provided me with many opportunities to become a better student,” said Hernandez-Sanchez.

Many students believe Erehart’s unique way of teaching and connecting with her students led her to this award. 

Building relationships with them and being a role model for them. I like this age group because I can engage in courageous conversations. I really value most the relationships with them,” said Erehart 

Erehart said she has always loved being a teacher and even after she took a break to take care of her kids, she found her way back to the world of teaching and ultimately got to care for her kids while they were enrolled at South. 

Erehart currently teaches Honors Geometry and Problem-Based Apps Finite Math (PBAM). Erehart started teaching in 1988 but took seven years off to raise her kids. She returned to teaching in 2007. Her three kids all graduated from South High. 

Math teacher Allison MacDonald, colleague of Erehart, said she believes Erehart’s continued hard work and kindness led her to such an incredible award. 

“She is super dedicated to her students and no matter what is enthusiastic. She is one of the most caring individuals you will ever meet,” she said.