Choir Champion

Senior Devon Polk earns All State Choir honors

Seniors+Grace+Erickson%2C+Quincy+Haymart%2C+Matt+Christofferson+and+Devon+Polk+all+auditioned+for+All+State+Choir+this+year.+

Connor Scott

Seniors Grace Erickson, Quincy Haymart, Matt Christofferson and Devon Polk all auditioned for All State Choir this year.

Senior Devon Polk was recently named to the All State Choir.

The Parkway South Choir program has been a part of the high school and its culture for many years and has produced a variety of talented individuals.

Last year Connor Scott took over the program and began to reinvent it and continue producing accomplished singers. This year, seniors Grace Erickson, Quincy Haymart, Devon Polk, and Matthew Christofferson auditioned for All State Choir on Nov. 2. 

This year the All-State auditions were held at Pattonville High School where rooms were reserved solely for the choir students and judges. The judges took into consideration voice projection, tone, vibrato, and breathing while students performed their solos.

Polk said he was thrilled when he got the found out he was selected.

“I was at work and I was anxiously waiting for an email. I have waited four years and once I got it I was super proud of myself,” he said.

Each singer had to audition for a prior group called All-Suburban choir in early October in order to qualify for the All-State choir. The performers explained their excitement, surprise, and nerves when it came to learning that they qualified for the All-State choir. 

“It’s a crazy opportunity to be able to sing with so many different people and different choirs from all over the state. I’m very excited to be selected as a top singer,” said Erickson.

Erickson has been in choir for seven years and said singing has been a major aspect of her childhood and teenage life. It is a source of happiness to her and she loves how comfortable she can be with the various people a part of the program.

Haymart has been in choir for 11 years and was amazed to even qualify for All-Suburban as she never even saw it coming.

“I’m very excited for the opportunity but also very nervous. It’s really scary and I don’t want to mess up,” says Haymart. 

Christofferson is a first-year choir member and never expected to qualify. He said it was a huge shock.

“I’m very nervous because it’s the best of the best. The amount of talent is crazy and there are so many good people out there,” said Christofferson. 

Not only do these singers have intense amounts of school work, responsibilities, and other activities, but the time commitment to All-State is also very consuming. The students spend many Ac. Labs rehearsing as a group to perfect their voice part. Some even have private sessions with Mr. Scott after school or before school to be fully prepared for the audition. Many spare minutes and meetings are put in to achieve preparation and perfection. 

“We practice a lot and sing through the song so many times in order to be as good as possible,” says Haymart.

The singers also pay a lot of gratitude to their family and friends for the constant support and help with their choir career. But, the biggest commend they give is to their choir teacher Mr. Scott for his constant help and dedication to their performance.

“He is helping us fine-tune our song and knows exactly what it needs to sound like,” says Christofferson. 

The majority of the students hope and plan to continue their singing life as they graduate and move onto college whether that be as a major, minor, or just recreational clubs. Choir has become a huge part of their lives and they hope to continue their participation, due to the love and passion they have for the program itself.

“Music brings joy to me and I love music in general. I love the way parts balance each other. I find joy in singing and I love choir.” says Erickson.