Under the sea

This year’s Homecoming was enjoyed by all

Juniors+Audrey+Feicht+and+Caleb+Wells+share+a+funny+moment+while+on+the+Homecoming+dance+floor.+

Wagner Portrait Group

Juniors Audrey Feicht and Caleb Wells share a funny moment while on the Homecoming dance floor.

Student Council President Asad Siddiqui, junior, said this year’s Homecoming met his expectations.

“There are usually over a thousand people. A lot of seniors will come because it is their last year, and freshmen, because it’s their first year,” Siddiqui said.

Adrianna Neiman, senior, experiences Homecoming with people she cares about.

“I’m going with some friends, and [junior] Ben Gold,” Neiman said.

Math teacher and Student Council sponsor Rachel Allender is very excited to see students’ reactions, when they first walk into the dance.

“It’s always fun seeing students all dressed up and all excited about coming in and seeing how everything looks and how different the gym looks compared to how it normally does,” Allender said.

Allender has behind the scene students help her set up Homecoming every year.

“We put a lot of hard work into making Homecoming, that you guys do not always see, and we think it was successful, and we hope you guys did too,” Allender said.

Last year’s Homecoming theme was Space, and the year before was Disney, and this year the theme was Under the Sea.

“I don’t think that the theme is that important, as long as people do not think it’s like a repeated theme,” Siddiqui said.

Though Siddiqui said he does not believe that the theme of Homecoming is all that important, he does still expect to have a good time.

“I feel like the goal of Student Council is to really make the gym evoke the theme of the year, and really making it the Under the Sea with all of the blue,” Siddiqui said.

Siddiqui’s expectations did meet reality.

“Everyone was dancing and it was really fun when the beat would drop and everyone would jump, it was really cool,” Siddiqui said.

Each year South has several  foreign exchange students who spend the entire year in the United States. This year South has six, and these six students get to see what American Homecoming is really like.

Foreign exchange student Alyssa Poe, sophomore, said her school doesn’t have a dance like Homecoming, so she was excited to experience it.

“I’m really excited to see what it’s like. I’m expecting a way bigger event, more dancing. In Australia dances are just a dinner,” she said.

Poe said she has one memory that she will take back to Australia.

“Spending time with friends, and seeing everyone dressed up. I was surprised that everyone took off their shoes to dance,” Poe said.

Homecoming Court is where the student body nominates students to become the Homecoming King or Queen. This year’s Homecoming King was Trey Jones, and the Queen was Nora Lackey.

“I want Homecoming to end with a bang. I’m excited about being on Homecoming Court, and that’s like my big thing.I want to have fun, it’s my senior year Homecoming, I don’t want drama,” Neiman said.

Neiman said reality met her expectations leading into this year’s Homecoming.

“This Homecoming was the best by far. I danced with my friends and nobody got suspended this year. Even though I didn’t win the crown and my good friend Nora [Lackey, senior] did, it was still a great night and Homecoming 2018 was definitely one for the books,” Neiman said.