New club attempts to bring people of different cultures together

Muslim Student Association meets every other Monday

Members+of+the+Muslim+Student+Association+take+a+selfie+during+a+meeting.+

Irfan Akbani

Members of the Muslim Student Association take a selfie during a meeting.

Interested in learning about other cultures and breaking down stereotypes? Junior Aliyah Adnan said she hopes this will occur through the Muslim Student Association club (MSA).

“I hope we break the ice between different types of people and learn to love people no matter their background or what they believe in,” said Adnan. “I also hope to clear misconceptions and have students hang out with different types of people.”

Adnan runs the club along with junior Fizza Ahmed.

“It is important to become aware of different cultures and faiths. We are all the same even though we may seem different,” Ahmed said.

Ahmed said she hopes to bring different cultural backgrounds and the Muslim population together.

“MSA welcomes everyone and is open to all,” said Ahmed.

Math teacher Rodney Holtmeyer  is the sponsor of MSA club. If interested in joining, come his room (room 104) every other Monday after school.

“I was asked by two students Aliyah and Fizza who were in my Ac. Lab. I know them really well and was glad to help anyway I can,” said Holtmeyer. “It’s been great to watch them have fun and celebrate the culture they are proud of, and I’m glad to provide a space where they can all get together.”

Adnan said how she got this club approved.

“We were redirected to a lot of teachers and then we went to Dr. Diggs. He approved the club, but we are only allowed to promote it near the water fountains,” said Adnan.

Ahmed said lots of people tried to get the club approved in the past.

“We made it really clear that this club was not a religiously affiliated club,” said Ahmed. “We are not trying to educate or convert anyone.”

Holtmeyer said he thinks a MSA club is important to have at South.

“I think it’s a great opportunity to learn more about the Muslim culture. I didn’t have a lot of knowledge going in so it’s been eye opening. From a student’s standpoint, it’s great to see all the Muslims get together and see what it’s like to be a Muslim student where they are the minority. It’s also great to see Non-Muslims in there supporting, and it’s overall great for the school as a whole,” said Holtmeyer.  

Adnan also said she thinks a MSA club is important.

“Grouping a minority group together strengthens everyone and how they approach school and the outside community too,” she said.

Ahmed said the name of the club (Muslim Student Association) might steer non-Muslim students away.

“This club is called MSA in colleges and other high schools so we just kept the name,” said Ahmed.

Ahmed said how people’s roles were chosen in the club.

“We chose people if they were responsible and could take charge. People also came to us and asked for roles, and we gave them jobs because we need all of the help we can get,” said Ahmed.

Adnan said there are media specialists as well.

“Members are assigned to each social media (Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook) and send out reminders about meetings,” said Adnan.

According to Adnan, the first meeting was good.

“Lots of people came and were involved,” said Adnan. “I hope to get more suggestions from people in the club.”

Holtmeyer said the people in the club have been very entertaining.

“It’s cool to see a group get together and get to know their heritage and culture,” said Holtmeyer.

Ahmed said MSA plans to do get-to-know-you activities.

“We will have foods from different countries. We will also possibly have [henna] booths during lunch for fundraisers,” said Ahmed. “The big goal is to get the entire school together in the gym for a cultural day.”

Holtmeyer said Adnan and Ahmed have been doing a good job of having a mix of informative and fun activities.

“I know that Aliyah and Fizza have been doing hard work planning. It’s still a young club but I’m seeing a lot of growth,” said Holtmeyer.