The student news site of Parkway South High School

Treaty

The Dog Whisperer

Junior Maddie Buehler trains, shows dogs.

Junior+Maddie+Buehler+shows+off+her+10-month-old+pug%2C+Rumor%2C+to+the+judges+at+the+preliminary+to+the+Westminster+Dog+Show.+
Junior Maddie Buehler shows off her 10-month-old pug, Rumor, to the judges at the preliminary to the Westminster Dog Show.

Courtesy of Maddie Buehler

Courtesy of Maddie Buehler

Did you know that someone at South High is ranked #5 in the world for dog training?

That’s junior Maddie Buehler! Buehler has been ranked #1 in her division since she was nine years old. She has made it to the prestigious Westminster Dog Show in New York five times in a row. The Westminster Dog Show  is known as the world’s greatest dog show.

Buehler said that she has been dog training for nine years. She describes dog training as a “beauty contest for dogs.”

“My mom trained dogs before I was born,” Buehler said. “We decided to continue doing it with me.”

She said that she loves training Doberman and Poodle breeds in particular. She also said she loves showing Afghan hounds.

“I occasionally show my own dogs,” said Buehler. “I own two pugs. I was there for their delivery, and it was cute to be able to train them from start to finish and see them win the championship.”

She also described the awards given for dog shows.

“I have received a $250 scholarship from a dog show. The greatest award given at the Westminster Dog Show  is a $500,000 scholarship and a Rosette. The biggest thing a dog trainer from the age of 9-18 can win is the title of “Best Junior.” As for dogs, they compete and advance by division.”

“My favorite part about dog training is bonding with the dogs,””

— Maddie Buehler

Buehler said she prefers big dogs over small dogs.

“The most difficult dogs to train are the smaller ones because they are dumb,” Buehler said. “The bigger dogs are better for dog shows because they catch the judge’s eye more, can be seen, and are faster.”

Buehler also said that it is difficult to get the dogs to listen, stay, and pay attention overall.

“If they are food aggressive, I give them food so they engage in eye contact and listen. Dog trainers only train the dogs if the dogs want to compete. We do not force the dogs. They  would not win as much,” she said.

Buehler said that she gets paid $50-$100 a day for training and showing dogs.

“I have traveled to New York, California, and Houston Texas for dog shows,” said Buehler.

Buehler said that she hopes to continue dog showing as a hobby but not as a career.

“My favorite part about dog training is bonding with the dogs,” said Buehler.

• The Dog Whisperer

News

Patriots celebrate winter holidays

• The Dog Whisperer

News

New club attempts to bring people of different cultures together

• The Dog Whisperer

Features

Spark! Students Create Revolutionary Products

• The Dog Whisperer

Features

Be the Change

• The Dog Whisperer

News

Don’t forget to compost!

• The Dog Whisperer

News

Five Finger Discount continues to be a hit

• The Dog Whisperer

News

Kindness Week begins Nov. 13

• The Dog Whisperer

News

Witch Hunt

• The Dog Whisperer

News

Former student returns to South to discuss budding journalism career

• The Dog Whisperer

News

Garger organizes feminine product drive

The Dog Whisperer