Jonathan Burt: The Man Behind the Voice of Parkway South

Auditions were held this year for a new student to hold the position as the afternoon announcer: they were looking to add personality and energy into the delivery.

“When Mr. Hachmeister came over the intercom one day recruiting announcers, I immediately knew it was the perfect opportunity,” said sophomore Jonathan Burt, the winning student of the audition to broadcast the news of the school.

Students may not be able to attach a name to the face, but we hear Burt throughout the school almost everyday. Burt describes himself as reserved, yet charismatic and erudite. He credits himself with a natural ability to be an outstanding speaker, and for a voice that can persuade and engage a crowd.

“Even as a child I had always been able to incorporate expression into reading aloud. Now, I emulate the announcements in a ‘Good Morning, Vietnam’ (Robin Williams 1987 dramedy) way that uses high energy to catch people’s attention. That’s the number one necessity to be an effective announcer,” said Burt.  

Burt is enrolled in Theatre Arts class with Mrs. Forrest-James this semester of his sophomore year. He said that the confidence he has gained from doing the announcements and the passion he has developed in the theater class has inspired him to pursue the performing arts.

“The plans I have for the future are still in progress, but I plan on incorporating my passion for performing into my college pathway– at least minoring in something acting/speech related,” said Burt, who credits entertainer Sammy Davis Jr. as being one of his biggest inspirations.

Burt prides himself in being able to represent the school and speak to all of his peers through the intercom. He believes that he has found the perfect niche for himself inside the walls of Parkway South, and he values his ability to interact with students that he may otherwise never directly impact.

“He’s a legend in Parkway South. Whenever his voice comes on the intercom, the whole class goes wild!” interjects junior student Ankita Kohla, followed by a commotion of approval from the entirety of Ellen Schmitt’s Academic Lab, on Jan. 24.

Sophomore Paige Havicon requested Burt’s help in accessing a document on her computer.

“I’ve known Jon for a long time. He’s a cool dude and a great teacher, especially when it comes to technology,” Havicon said.

Aside from his interest in public speaking, debate, and theatre, Burt participates in the Chess Club and the Videogame Club at South.

“I’m a moderately good chess player, but I’d describe myself as… rusty. Mostly, after the school day is through, I value the time I have to myself to just be alone, or maybe to play some videogames with friends,” said Burt.

Burt, who lives with his mom while his two brothers live with his dad in Texas, has developed his own unique set of values. Growing up with a supportive mother who isn’t afraid to teach tough love, Burt believes that positivity, wholesomeness, and communication is key.  

Burt says he doesn’t mind being solely recognized by his voice: like his inspiration Sammy Davis Jr. once said, “The ultimate mystery is one’s own self.”