The student news site of Parkway South High School. All opinion pieces represent the views of the writer alone, not the school or district.

Treaty

Treaty

Treaty

New year, new Resolutions

Students, teachers make Resolutions for 2024
Junior Riley Hilligoss takes a picture of a dumbbell at the Ballwin Pointe before she starts to work out. Many people pledge to exercise more for their New Years Resolution.
Riley Hilligoss
Junior Riley Hilligoss takes a picture of a dumbbell at the Ballwin Pointe before she starts to work out. Many people pledge to exercise more for their New Year’s Resolution.

As the clock struck midnight on Dec. 31, students and teachers worldwide bid farewell to the old year and welcomed the new with open arms. New Year’s can be a time for reflection, growth, and the opportunity to make positive changes in people’s lives. New Year’s Resolutions have become a tradition for many, and South High is no exception. 

For students, the start of a new year often comes with a determination to excel academically. Resolutions like studying more, improving time management, and aiming for higher grades are common among the South community, especially because finals are coming up soon. 

“I hope to stay productive and pass all my classes, also not overworking myself,” Senior Lily Deetz said. 

This is relatable to many students at South since finals are around the corner and another semester is about to begin. This is a chance to set the bar higher and strive for academic success. 

Another popular category of Resolutions revolves around health and wellness. Students recognize the importance of taking care of their physical and mental well-being. From hitting the gym or practicing yoga to eating healthier or getting more sleep, these resolutions aim to foster a balanced and thriving lifestyle. 

The new year also brings personal growth and self-improvement opportunities. 

“I want to eat healthy and work out to improve myself.” Sophomore, Addie Bogad says.

This is a common Resolution for many who want to grow and become better versions of themselves in the new year. Almost 50% of Resolutions are about becoming healthy and working out more. Having a healthy, fit mindset can be helpful in many aspects of a new start to next semester. 

With busy schedules and multiple responsibilities, students often strive to improve their time management skills. Resolutions might include better organization, prioritizing tasks, or creating a study schedule. By mastering time management, students can achieve a healthy work-life balance and reduce stress. 

Building and nurturing social connections is a vital aspect of student life. Resolutions related to friendships and relationships can include making new friends, resolving conflicts, or strengthening bonds. 

Students aren’t the only ones that have resolutions. Some teachers at South are working towards new Resolutions for the year. Art teacher Eric Ludlow said he has three main goals for the year. 

“My Resolutions are to get to my goal weight, work out every day, and get to sleep on time every night,” Ludlow said. 

While Ludlow has his important Resolutions, some teachers don’t believe in the New Year’s Resolutions, and don’t partake in them. Science teacher Russ Barton believes that New Year’s is just like any other day. 

“I don’t make Resolutions because I think it’s the same as every other day,” Barton said. 

Not everyone believes Resolutions are important or needed, but some find it helpful to better themselves for the upcoming year.

It’s important to remember that resolutions should be realistic and achievable. Setting small, attainable goals for steady progress and boosts motivation along the way. Studies have shown that only 9% of adults keep their resolutions, and 80% of resolutions are forgotten by mid-winter. It’s important to make sure that you keep up with your resolutions. If a resolution falls through, it’s never too late to start again.