The student news site of Parkway South High School. All opinion pieces represent the views of the writer alone, not the school or district.

Treaty

Treaty

Treaty

Top Teacher

Jillian Baldwin-Kim is South High’s Teacher of the Year
Jillian Baldwin-Kim takes a picture with her students after being declared the Teacher of the Year for South High.

Something every teacher is excited to hear is being nominated for Teacher of the Year. What’s better than a nomination? Winning!

Parkway South’s 2023-24 Teacher of the Year for South High is Jillian Baldwin-Kim. Baldwin-Kim is an English Language Learning (ELL) teacher. She works with students who move to South from other countries and aren’t familiar with English.

“My schedule changes every day. I work with students learning English and go to their classes to help and we teach our own classes,” Baldwin-Kim said.

Baldwin-Kim is one of three ELL teachers at South. Her colleagues in the building are Cynthia Adams and Whitney Wilhelm. Adams says that Baldwin-Kim is always striving to help all students.

“She is very caring and very patient with students of all English proficiency levels, and she is also very knowledgable,” Adams said.

Her students also see her kindness in everything she does.

“I think she deserves it because she loves her job. She does it wholeheartedly; she helps all the kids in every grade she can,” senior Norah Reinhard said.

Principal Angie Pappas-Muyco said she thinks Baldwin-Kim deserves the award.

“She is a true advocate for all students at South High and she’s super hard working,” she said.

Baldwin-Kim has been at South for 7 years.

Adams always sees something consistent with Baldwin-Kim–a smile on her face.

“She is always smiling, it doesn’t matter. Even when our schedules are busy and crazy she is always smiling and positive,” said Adams.

Baldwin-Kim’s class has a lasting impact on students, according to Reinhard.

“Her class has helped me so much. When I first moved from Uganda, I didn’t know anything and it helped me get used to the system. It also helped me with all my classes, as she would do things like read my tests to me,” said Reinhard.

Adams says that Baldwin-Kim does so many amazing things in her classroom.

“One is to identify the daily learning objectives. This is very successful because the students know exactly where they are expected to be at the end of each class,” said Adams

Adams also sees a sense of family in Baldwin-Kim’s classroom.

“It’s always very open-minded, and like a big family for all students,” said Adams.

Baldwin-Kim said she loves working at South.

“I am proud that South High is such a great place to work and learn,” said Baldwin-Kim