No PJs at Parkway South

PJ policy at South is inconsistent with rest of district.

A cartoon of students complaining about how they should get to wear PJ pants.

Imagine being able to wake up in the morning, not have to change, brush your teeth, eat, and leave for school. Here at Parkway South, it’s not very imaginable considering we can’t wear pajamas to school. But at Parkway West, North, and Central they are allowed to.

I had a short conversation with the Parkway North receptionist. I asked her if students were allowed to wear pajamas to school and she quickly said no and hung up. But using another resource, I found out they are, in fact, allowed. So students at West, North, and Central can roam their halls in comfy pajama pants without getting yelled at to change. So why can’t we?

School starts at 7:35 am. Waking up in order to be ready for school by the time you have to leave is the most dreadful part of the day. To take a shower, and pick out clothes to wear I have to wake up at least by 6:30. If we were allowed to wear pajamas, waking up in the morning wouldn’t be such a dread. It would be more comfortable in school and easier to engaged because it would not be so hard to wake up.

Not only do I think students should be able to wear pajamas simply because they are comfortable, but also because it’s a Freedom of Speech issue. Although I know some clothes are not always acceptable to wear to school, I strongly believe pajamas always are. If you go to the grocery store or the mall or any public place wearing pajamas I can guarantee you nobody is going to say anything about your Cookie Monster pajama pants. So our school shouldn’t at school either. It should be your choice what you get to wear to school.

Lastly, I believe we should be allowed to wear pajamas because its a way of expressing yourself. Everyone is all about expressing themselves nowadays so I think if it is appropriate clothing for school, it shouldn’t really matter what “category” it falls in. I believe adults control a lot of things that matter to us in our lives and one thing they shouldn’t be able to be what we wear. So, if you wanna wear those pajama pants to school, you should be able to!

Teachers like to say that we aren’t allowed to wear pajamas because it can make the brain think that it is time to go to sleep and make it hard to pay attention or focus and administration doesn’t want students to be sleeping in class. But really, I think it’s about being comfortable and when you are comfortable, it’s easier to be more engaged. I see kids asleep in class every day and they aren’t wearing pajamas. So either way, you can’t prevent it.

Our school is the only one of four Parkway High schools that aren’t allowed to wear pajamas. I know I’m not the only one who thinks this rule is ridiculous. I want teachers and administrators to think about this. South needs to join in with the rest of Parkway’s High Schools and allow Pajama pants.