Treaty

Patriot football faces undefeated Wildcats tonight

South looks to earn second win on the season.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Linebacker Joe Audiffred tackles a Marquette player during the game last weekend. The Patriots lost to the Mustangs, 49-0

Christa Lolley

Christa Lolley

Christa Lolley

It is that time of the year again. Friday Night Lights has begun. The season has been going on since June for the players and coaches though.

“We began morning lifting every week day in June. The first camp was in June and contact began in July. The grind never ends,” said senior slot receiver and linebacker Joe Audiffred.

Along with Audiffred, other breakout players include seniors Ty Osby, Trent Myrick, and Charlie Held, and sophomore Mali Walton. Those three seniors are hoping to play college according to coach Joe Rosewell.

“Joe, Ty, Trent, and Connor Hale all hope to play college ball and I feel as if they can achieve that goal,” said Rosewell.

South runs the spread veer offense which models off of Navy and Georgia Tech. According to Rosewell, the team has a less experienced offensive line but a more experienced backfield which he feels is a reverse as of last year.

The Patriots are four games deep in their season and sport a 1-3 record. Their first win was against the McCluer North Stars. Quarterback Mali Walton rushed for 177 yards and a touchdown against the Stars. Additionally, Quarterback Tyler Klein scored his first touchdown of the season on a four yard rush. Mali Walton led the defense with six tackles and Audiffred and Osby accounted for five each.

South will face Eureka, Lafayette, Summit, Mehlville and Lindbergh  in order for the rest of the season. Eureka and Mehlville are the remaining home games with Mehlville being on Homecoming and senior night on Friday, Oct. 12.

I feel like the toughest place to play will be Lindbergh. They have a grass field with a weird set up that we are not used to,” said Rosewell.

On Friday, South will face the Eureka Wildcats. Eureka has a 4-0 record. Leading the Wildcats are sophomore quarterback Carter Davis, and junior running back Jhalon Asher-Sanders. In the past, Eureka has been known as a dominant team in the Suburban West Conference but South will look for the big upset. The key for the upset will be speed on offense and the passing game.

“The biggest key to winning games will be our passing game. We have some very talented receivers and all 3 of our quarterbacks have good arms. I also feel like we have a pretty quick team. Trey Jones and I are the fastest on the team and we can break out for big yards,” said Audiffred.

Parkway South has been known for having a good student section and being rowdy no matter the record. The Posse is a big part of the football atmosphere, according to Audiffred.

“I love playing in front of the Posse. Seeing all the boys in the stands always gets my hyped,” said Audiffred.

Come early to the game tonight and participate in the Tailgate. There will be free hot dogs, games and music under the science wing prior to the game, from 5:30-6:30 p.m.

• Patriot football faces undefeated Wildcats tonight

Sports

Best in Missouri!!

Sports

6-0 start!

Sports

Nationals-bound!

Sports

Patriots vs. Eagles

Sports

Putting up points

Sports

Cheering for victory!

Sports

Ice, Ice Baby!

Sports

Small but mighty!

Sports

New year, new coach

Sports

Slam Dunk!

The student news site of Parkway South High School