Farewell, South

Farewell%2C+South

It is finally time for us, the class of 2016, to go our own way. Each, graduating senior, leaves our mark behind on Parkway South, in our own unique way. No matter what we’ve been involved in, our footprints have been left on the ground, memories imprinted in our mind. We have grown attached to teachers, students, and this way of life, but soon everything we’ve gotten used to will change. This is the last time we will be sitting in a classroom with friends who have grown with us from childhood to awkward teenage years to now blossoming young adults. The past four years at South we will always remember, creating stories that we tell our future grandchildren, hoodies that will be left in our rooms folded away, along with our childhood. This is it class of 2016, it is time to fold away our teenage self and move on to bigger and better things.

For the past 12 years we have been complaining about school, complaining about how annoying it is, and counting the days till graduation. We have been rolling our eyes to adults who kept telling us to appreciate this time in our lives, and to enjoy the lack of responsibilities. Well we should have listened, because now we face the big kid world. Thinking back to fourth grade I specifically remember saying how fast the next years will go by and in a blink of an eye we will be adults in college. Boy, oh, boy was I right. Life has flown by and it doesn’t seem to be slowing down.

Every year, we get older and life gets faster. So with these last few months left at home and the remaining time we have with our childhood friends make sure to treasure them. Because we will never get it back. Even though we may feel annoyed by our parents and can’t wait to move out of our homes, give your mom a hug, kiss your dad on his cheek and spend some time with them. They have put up with our sassy moods and poopy diapers; they have given us love even when we thought nobody loved us.

Along with our parents, make sure to thank your teachers. Give them a hug because without encouragement, dedication, and determination we wouldn’t be where we are now. Mr. Evers spent so much time with me during my freshman year. He proved that math teachers aren’t cruel humans laughing at our struggles. He helped make Algebra 1 *cough* enjoyable. Teachers make or break a subject and Mr. Brady proved what little did I know. When I signed up in eighth grade to take one semester of Beginning Journalism, it would lead me down three years of writing for the Treaty. Mr. Brady and being apart of the newspaper has made these past four years fun. We had pizza, went on a trip to DC, and he introduced me to Donnybrook. I would like to extend a special thanks to Mr. Stevens for trying to make me more punctual by giving me my first breakfast club experience and warnings for several more. Running late is literally my cardio. Every school comes with the good and bad teachers, but luckily South is filled with more good than bad.

Try new things and if get put down or feel like a failure, remember Walt Disney got told he had no good ideas and lacked imagination. Steve Jobs was fired from his own company. Chris Pratt was a stripper before he won  breakthrough performer of the year. When we go off to fulfill our passion, don’t let anyone say, you are unable to succeed.

It has been an honor South. Thank you for all the memories and experiences you have given the class of 2016. This last week is when we say our goodbyes, give our hugs, take one last selfie with our fellow classmates and kiss this way of life goodbye. From the wise words of Dr. Seuss, “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You’re on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who’ll decide where to go.” Don’t let anyone tell you what to do or where to go because the next years is yours to live. Make good choices and do what you love. Don’t stress over the small things and live life one day at a time. Life is short so we have got to make it count. I am proud of us seniors, because we managed to survive the teenage years. No matter what we do after high school know that we have made it to this one great milestone. This milestone is one to celebrate, its time for us to throw our hats up and collect the piece of paper we worked so hard to get.

I would like to leave on one note, read the Treaty, keep the tradition alive, pick up the good ole fashion print paper up once in awhile and put down your digital copy. It has been a privilege to be a part of the Newspaper family and I recommend the class to all you underclassmen and soon-to-be seniors. Sign up. Hey, you get a shirt.