The student news site of Parkway South High School. All opinion pieces represent the views of the writer alone, not the school or district.

Treaty

Treaty

Treaty

Toots, there he is!

An inside look at Ms. Smith’s pet dragon
Assistant Principal Brionne Smiths pet Bearded Dragon, Toots.
Brionne Smith
Assistant Principal Brionne Smith’s pet Bearded Dragon, Toots.

‘What do you call a Bearded Dragon that’s good at rhyming?… A rap-tile!’

That was terrible but did you know that Bearded Dragons have been found to “wave” and “nod” at their owners as friendly communication? This is probably why South’s newest class pet, Toots the Bearded Dragon, has gained such a surprising following and appreciation in the student population at South.

“I have a history as a teacher of always having a classroom pet,” said Assistant Principal Brionne Smith. “After my cousin passed away, named Tootie… My daughter picked him out and then I named him.”

Most students at South have yet to experience a pet in the classroom and while Toots primarily resides in Smith’s office, his presence in the South has continued to grow with every student interaction.

“I met him (Toots) here in the office on December 17th,” said Administrative Assistant Andy Lane. “You can already see how much the students are drawn to him.”

For the small group of students who have heard of Toots, they have often seen him in the Cafeteria, Commons, or on field trips where he is often seen on Smith’s shoulder.

“I was on an in-school field trip for ASAP when Ms. Smith brought him along to the trip,” said sophomore Naomi Adou.

While the connection between students and pets in a classroom setting is an underdeveloped research topic, petsintheclassroom.org found that “40% of children choose pet companionship when feeling down”– this research can be used to understand the rising presence of students who seek out Toots.

“I once grabbed him and I was able to work calmly,” said Smith. “He is very comforting. Students often want to hold him and walk with him.”

Students can find Smith with Toots napping on her shoulder in the  Commons, and she said students should feel free to ask to pet him or borrow him for a quick ride.

“I had Toots placed on my hand, shoulder, and arm,” said Adou. “He was very chill and calm. I love Toots.”

However, Lane said she isn’t interested in holding the Bearded Dragon.

“It’s a hard nope to holding Toots. I’m scared of Bearded Dragons/lizards,” said Lane.

If you are more welcoming to the presence of a new reptilian friend and wondering where you can meet Toots, feel free to check in Smith’s office where he is seen most days of the week.

“Toots is beginning to understand that He has a similar schedule to a student or a worker,” said Smith, “He will sleep on the way to school, and the way back home.”