The student news site of Parkway South High School. All opinion pieces represent the views of the writer alone, not the school or district.

Treaty

Treaty

Treaty

Unfair Advantage

Keep public and private schools separate when dealing with sports
One+South+High+team+that+plays+private+schools+is+the+hockey+team.+
One South High team that plays private schools is the hockey team.

What do professional athletes Ezekiel Elliott, Jayson Tatum, Jonathan Owens, Jameson Williams, and Matt Vierling have in common? They all attended private high schools in St. Louis.

I think public schools like South High should be in separate sports leagues from private schools, because private schools have an unfair advantage. 

One reason why private schools shouldn’t play public schools in sports is because they often have a different focus. Public schools must have a primary focus on academics, while private schools may prioritize sports and athletics.  Private schools like John Burroughs focus on their academics whereas public schools like Parkway South focus on sports. This difference in priorities can lead to an uneven matchup when playing. Private schools should have their own league where they play each other. States like Louisiana, New Jersey and Texas play in their own public vs public and private vs private leagues,

Another reason why I think private schools have an unfair advantage over public schools in sports is the fact that some private schools engage in recruitment practices. At South High, specifically, we have to take the students in our boundaries, but a private school can take students from all over. What if there was a  6’5” 350 lb incoming freshman lineman living in the Big Bend Woods subdivision? Would he go to South High, or has DeSmet already seen him at Junior Patriot football games and is willing to give him a scholarship? What if there is an incredible center who’s draining three-pointers for her St. Joseph’s CYC team? Maybe she’ll choose to attend Incarnate Word Academy instead of becoming a Patriot? It shouldn’t be surprising that talented athletes would be interested in attending schools with a good sports background, especially if the school is willing to waive the tuition!!

Also, once a player commits to a private school, those schools often have superior facilities, training equipment, and the ability to hire top-tier coaches. For example, CBC football players have the advantage of an indoor training facility, with a 40-year turf field and 8 weight-lifting platforms, and better equipment in general. Now, South High definitely has a great weight room, but if you’re a player, you’re going to be tempted by the facilities at CBC. Parkway, on the other hand, is dependent on tax money, cannot overcommit to a certain sport and can only provide so much as far as facilities. 

In conclusion, the fairness of private schools competing against public schools in sports is a multifaceted issue. financial backgrounds, recruitment practices and academic focus shows all reasons why. Addressing these issues requires an understanding of the dynamics and a commitment to sports. It’s unfair and there should be equal opportunities for students no matter what type of school they attend.