The student news site of Parkway South High School. All opinion pieces represent the views of the writer alone, not the school or district.

Treaty

Treaty

Treaty

Rising stars on the court

Boys JV basketball powers through season
Carson Brandt
The boys JV basketball team discusses strategy during a time out in their game against Francis Howell North.

Boys JV basketball is off to a winning record, beating teams like Parkway Central, Gateway STEM, and Francis Howell North. With a roster full of talent, they are confident they can finish the season off with a winning record, according to sophomore Zaden Johnson. 

“I think we really have a chance to do great this year. Practices are really energetic and we all have great chemistry and can wear down other teams,” Johnson said.

This team has a lot of potential going into the rest of the winter season, according to sophomore Carl Bevineau.

”The new coaching staff has been great for all of us players. They help work on our mechanics and feel more confident whether you have the ball or not,” Bevineau said.

Sophomore Tristan Jones talks about his pregame routine.

“Sometimes I scout the other team and look at their film to see who are going to be their top-performing players, but I always listen to music to help me lock in,” he said.

Bevineau has a unique routine from other players.

“First, I do yoga to help me stretch out, then I get some shots up, then it’s game time baby,” Bevineau said.

Head coach of boys JV basketball, Coach Williams, said, ”I love the energy this year. These boys have a future ahead of them in this sport and I think our varsity team will be great when these guys are juniors and seniors.”

Jones said he thinks he’s already improved significantly since the season started multiple weeks ago.

“My teamwork has gotten way better. It’s like I’m able to read my teammates’ minds across the floor,” Jones said.

Bevineau agrees with Jones, adding that he’s improved in other aspects as well.

“My shooting has gotten significantly better. I can knock down 15 footers in my sleep,” Bevineau said. “It feels like we are playing like a team now instead of just 5 individuals on the court.”