The student news site of Parkway South High School. All opinion pieces represent the views of the writer alone, not the school or district.

Treaty

Treaty

Treaty

Wood woes

Fall sports come and go, with no access to Gym A
The state of Gym A in late October.

High hopes that Gym A would be ready by this school year all went out the roof when it literally let in tons of water. 

Last year the gym was under maintenance because it needed an update, so for the second half of last school year there was no Gym A. Most classes have already adjusted to not having access to the gym, however, fall and winter sports have had a major issue with the scheduling of practices and games. 

Fall sports have come and gone with no Gym A. This led to all three volleyball teams sharing one gym for the season. 

“It was a very difficult season to deal with not having our main gym at home games, it was always super stuffy and packed during our games,” sophomore volleyball player Parker Rakers said. Volleyball was just one of the fall/winter sports that has had to deal with problems with not having access to Gym A–basketball is another.  

This year is social studies teacher Ryan McArthy’s first year coaching boys varsity basketball at South High. Unfortunately, it will not be the same this year because of the Gym A renovations. McArthy is coming at it with a positive attitude.

“My plan is to implement a different culture and in order to do that you want to build resilience in the program. We are going to use this as adversity; you have two options: make excuses or use it to overcome it. So we will have that mindset of control what we can, it will be tough with scheduling. But we gotta figure out a way to move forward every day. But that’s our job as coaches.” 

It will be exciting to see the progress he makes as a new coach this season, and how the program grows. 

Additionally, the work of the gym has put a lot of stress on the faculty. Assistant Principal Eric Wilhelm said he has had to be on his toes for the past year working on the gym updates. It can get costly for the district to have to redo the gym. 

“Our insurance company helps similarly to when you have your own house or car and need help with insurance. The school district pays for the insurance and it was from a storm and then the insurance will cover the rest of the cause. The deductible is $1000.” Additionally, Wilhelm shared that the gym put stress on the beginning of the year festivities, especially Homecoming. 

“I think there are pros and cons to an inside vs outside homecoming. Before covid the previous homecomings were inside. The past four have been outside and it can be nice since you’re outside. And it’s cooler so that could be nice. However, being able to decorate the gym and have the Homecoming theme more prevalent and something about being in a confined space makes it seem more like a club or a party.”

Even though the season has not yet begun, basketball is struggling to accommodate each team. The girls’ team has to come before school and practice while the boys’ team is able to practice after school.  

Sophomore Ava Hill is on the girls basketball team. 

“I wish we were able to practice like we did last year, I’m not excited about having to wake up early, practice, and then have school after. It could be difficult if you were a senior this year as well, because your last high school season has a dent in it due to the fact that you won’t have regular practice and games,” she said. 

However there is hope for the gym. January is the estimated month that it will be fully ready for games, practices, and fun! Coach McArthy ends on a positive note and says, “Everything happens for a reason and we will learn a lot about ourselves this year.”