The student news site of Parkway South High School. All opinion pieces represent the views of the writer alone, not the school or district.

Treaty

Treaty

Treaty

Who’s behind the wheel?

City students still feeling effects of bus driver shortage
Students+board+one+of+the+afternoon+Missouri+Central+buses+to+transport+South+students+to+the+city.+
Asher Owens
Students board one of the afternoon Missouri Central buses to transport South students to the city.

The 2020 year came with a lot of ups, and a LOT of downs, one of which is still having a negative impact on students today. Ever since Covid-19, there has been a spike in bus driver shortages, Parkway is just one of many districts that has been affected by the shortage. Let’s take a look at who is being affected, and how it’s a problem that needs fixing now.

The Missouri Central school bus company is contracted to pick up and drop off students who live in St. Louis City, but attend school in St. Louis County. One of those schools South High. Parkway has its own bus drivers and transportation for the students living in its attendance area. 

In 2020, I started the first of the four long years of my high school career. I had noticed a pattern: every day my sister and I would get on the bus, we would always switch buses, combining with another, making it unbelievably uncomfortable to ride. There were sometimes 3 to a seat, buses already don’t come with mandatory seatbelts. Not only is that unsafe, it’s unacceptable. It never stopped either. The entire year every single bus ride was like that, and it has stayed like that until this year–my current senior year. Even being in my senior year, my bus still has problems getting to school on time, and it seems as if other peers of mine do too.

“A lot of times we have to get on different buses, and sit 3 to a seat. There’s always problems that the kids cause too, I think bus drivers should just get paid more,” senior Abdi Malik said. “My bus is scheduled to get me at 6:30, but sometimes I get to school at 7:35, and get no time for breakfast.” 

If you’re wondering what the hourly pay for being a bus driver is, according to Parkwayschools.net, the starting pay is $18.85. For Missouri Central drivers, starting pay is $26/hr. That puts Missouri Central drivers ahead nearly $8. If the pay is higher, what really is the issue?

It’s clear there is a serious problem with this situation. But I feel as if there is a lack of urgency when it comes to needing bus drivers. I’m not writing this article to call anyone out, but when it’s a problem that is happening across all school districts, when does it become a problem for the school districts as a whole, and not the kids and their families? 

Is the problem the pay? Or is it just the fact that driving buses is an inconvenient occupation? 

Junior Alexander Christian comments on the situation.

“Sometimes it was 3 to a seat on the days when we had to combine buses.  I think they should raise the hourly pay for bus drivers, or just change something, so students like me aren’t worrying about their safety at all times,” Christian Said.

Senior DJ Lee also had comments on the busing situation.

“I think this problem has a lot more impact on Black students who live in the city. Ever since COVID, people don’t see the value in being a bus driver. A lot of older people don’t want to deal with kids. I have divorced parents, and I alternate houses every week. Sometimes when I get home, it’s already 7 p.m. and  I’ll only have maybe an hour and a half to do homework,” Lee said.

To sum the problem up, the bus driver shortage is a problem that seems to not be changing, if anything it seems like it’s getting worse. A solution to this problem seems like the hardest thing for these school districts. Getting rid of free transportation would drastically decrease student attendance rate, and it seems to me that the only thing this school cares about is looking good statistically. 

“I just don’t think bus driving is a suitable job anymore, Mainly because the hours are insanely hard to work around,” senior Joe Wofford said.