The next Big 4

Meet South’s student leaders for next year

387033554022101

From left to right: Sophomore Class President Denny Jakovljevic, Junior Class President Grace Fu, Senior Class President Mazin Nadaf, Student Body President Ethan Wood.

Parkway South High is gearing up for an exciting future as it welcomes it’s next big four student leaders. Denny Jakovljevic, Grace Fu, Mazin Nadaf, and Ethan Wood have been elected as the class presidents who will guide the school through the upcoming academic year. Together, they share a common vision of empowering their fellow students by giving them more choices and amplifying their voices.

These leaders all have one thing in common and that is, giving students of Parkway South more choice and voice.

Wood, who will be the student body president next year, goes in depth on his plans for next year and what he wishes to accomplish. 

“First and foremost I want to make sure everything done this year stays in place, like the Aclab stuff. Like Aclab passes for seniors to leave the school, and I want to expand that to juniors as well and possibly include other privileges for other students as well. I want to continue more with the lunch as well and get more variety like carting. But it’s all federal so the school gets federal funding as well. I also want to get a better spirit/ more inclusive days,” Wood said. “For spirit days, pep rallies, I want to try to express the will to people more, like I’ve done this year. For example, there was a voting thing last year but even when people voted what they liked, it wasn’t implemented. I want the students of South High to give ideas for homecoming. Overall. I really just want to give students more choices, different things work for different people and plus people have different preferences and that’s what we want to continue.” 

Jakovljevic describes how school events are disliked by many students and how he wishes to change that.

“To start, I know that many people aren’t happy with a lot of the events or activities that the school implements. Therefore, we hope that we can create and implement school events in the future that many people will enjoy,” he said.

Many students become class president for various reasons, could be for college resumes, could be for fun and so on. But, for Nadaf, becoming class president is an opportunity to effect positive change and give back to the school and his classmates. 

“I thought it was just a natural way to continue, and I just think it is a good way to create good change. It is my way of giving back to the school, and the class. It is my way of creating change in the school. That is why I want to be class president,” Nadaf said.

Leading as a class president demands tremendous responsibility and the ability to balance academic commitments with the demands of leadership.

Fu, the incoming junior class president, sheds light on her role and responsibilities.

“The primary duties of the class president usually include working with students to resolve problems and informing school leaders and the student council of ideas from the class. The president also has the responsibility of going to meetings and organizing student activities and events,” she said.  

Preparations for the next round of student leadership elections are underway next year. It is imperative that aspiring leaders brace themselves for the challenge ahead.

Wood offers valuable advice to potential candidates, encouraging them to overcome fear and embrace leadership opportunities. 

“I would just say do not be afraid to put yourself out there, don’t be afraid to lead or run for office. I never in a million years would have thought I would be senior class president. It all comes from not being afraid. Don’t be afraid to lead, don’t be afraid to run. Don’t let your fear stop you,” he said.

With Wood’s experience and knowledge, he is determined to make a lasting positive impact, striving to make Parkway South an even better place for all students.

“I am, I am ready to keep working to keep working for the students at South. I have experience in knowledge to make sure 2024 is the best year for our class and school in general. I want to continue making South a better place,” he said.