Baseball is back!!

Patriot teachers and students are excited for Cardinals baseball

Junior+Cardinal+fans+Brooke+Oberkramer+and+Caitlyn+Schmitt+take+a+selfie+while+having+fun+at+a+Cardinals+game+this+season.+

Junior Cardinal fans Brooke Oberkramer and Caitlyn Schmitt take a selfie while having fun at a Cardinals game this season.

The Major League Baseball season kicked off almost a month ago and that means Cardinals baseball is back in St. Louis. 

After a disappointing end to the season last year and a few roster moves in the offseason, the Cardinals are looking to bounce back this year and make a run for the pennant. 

Expectations are across the board for the season. With a new team, nobody knows for sure how well it will go. 

Freshman Wyatt Simmons said he has high expectations for the Cardinals this season. 

“They’ll have an easy playoff berth and a decently far playoff run,” he predicted. 

Sophomore Jake Thompson said he thinks the Redbirds can win the National League Central Division. 

“They should win the division, but I don’t think they are making it anywhere in the postseason because they usually don’t,” he said 

Last season the Cardinals won the NL Central and made the playoffs, as a Wild Card team with a 93-69 record. However, they lost the Wild Card game to the Philadelphia Phillies who ended up making it all the way to the World Series. 

This season the Cardinals are without Yadier Molina and Albert Pujols, as they retired after last season. Pujols hit 24 Home Runs last season for the Birds and had 68 RBI. 

Freshman Ava Wood said she will miss Molina and Pujols.

“It’s sad to see them go because they are legends,” she said.

It’s not only students who are Cardinal fans–teachers are, too. English teacher Anton Ruiz gave his opinion on having a new Cardinal behind the plate in Wilson Contreras.

“The time has come. It’s hard to see a different catcher behind the plate, but props to Molina for his faithfulness.”

The Cardinals’ pitching has been a concern on everyone’s minds preseason, and while the offense has been exceptional we’ve seen the lackluster pitching shine through and lose them games early this season. Thompson added his thoughts on Cardinals’ play so far.

“Pickup the defense. Offense plays well but defense needs to be better,” he said.  

Rookie Outfielder Jordan Walker started the season off with a 12-game hit streak, which ties the record set in 1912 by Eddie Murphy for the longest hit streak by a player 20 or younger to start a career. 22-year-old Nolan Gorman is also lighting it up at the plate. Gorman is leading the team in Home Runs with 6, as well as RBIs with 22. 

Regardless of record, games at Busch Stadium are always a fun and exciting time for family and friends, according to Thompson.

“I’m excited to watch. The games should be interesting especially when I go with friends,” he said. 

Simmons said he has visited Busch Stadium this season.

“I’ve already been to one and hoping to go to some more,” Simmons said.

Ruiz also said he enjoys attending Cardinal games. 

“My friends and I, our go-to spot is the bleachers because they are cheap and fun and have a decent view,” he said. 

Even though the Cardinals have started the season with a 9-15 record and are currently sitting in fourth place in the NL Central, there is still hope for another ring in St. Louis. Ruiz, quoting popular Apple TV series Ted Lasso, gave his opinion. 

“I’m never a doubter, as Ted Lasso says, ‘Believe’.” he said.