‘Do Say Gay’

Proposed bill threatens to stifle discussion on gender identity and sexual orientation in Missouri schools

Marci Townsend

Pride flags adorn the walls of a art classroom at South. If new anti-gay legislation is passed, these flags could be illegal.

“Don’t Say Gay.” 

That’s what Missouri politicians are preaching after Republican Senator Mike Moon proposed Senate Bill 134 that would not only ban the conversation of sexual orientation and gender identity in elementary school but all the way until 12th grade unless that conversation is held by a “licensed mental health professional.” The bill still hasn’t gone through the House or Senate, but if it does, then that means students wouldn’t learn about critical parts of their development until they’re nearly if not already full-grown adults. It would also put already “out” kids in danger and shroud the topic of LGBTQ+ in more stigma. 

This new “don’t say gay” bill isn’t only harmful because it targets the LGBTQ+ community, but it also erases a lot of important topics in the learning of human development. Teachers won’t be able to discuss the idea of gender identity or sexuality at all, which throws students in the dark about their own hormonal and growth changes. They won’t have any way to explore or even comprehend the major feelings they experience during adolescence, and will have to fumble around in ignorance until they’re thrown into the real world where there are all these terms they were never introduced to. What’s the harm of a heterosexual student learning about being gay or bisexual? Politicians are scared it will influence them to become a part of that community, but all it will do is erase all understanding of how humans function and act, and leave them completely ignorant. The adult world isn’t going to change toward these new school laws, so why not prepare students for the real world? Why wait until they’re getting thrown into it to teach them? The government seems inclined to make us unaware of anything we need to be an adult. Anything that makes us more vulnerable to the world is better, according to these legislators. Additionally, at South itself, there are teachers who hang up Pride flags and posters that read “Safe Space.” Will these not be allowed in classrooms under this new legislation? 

The second reason this bill is harmful instead of beneficial is because it would put a lot of LGBTQ+ adolescents in danger. The bill claims that it would give more power to the parents which at first may seem good, but when you factor in the idea of how parents would be more inclined to disown their children you realize it’s not a good idea. Currently, teenagers are allowed to express their identity to counselors and teachers without the fear of being outed, but if the bill becomes law, then all that information will have to be disclosed to parents. This puts students with homophobic and transphobic households more at risk for being disowned, having mental health issues and thoughts of suicide. Parents who hate the idea of their children being homosexual are going to try and tear that part out of them, and instead of helping them, it’s just going to put that student in danger. Additionally, transgender children wouldn’t be able to transition until they’re adults. They’re going to have to suffer through puberty and big hormonal changes with their biological gender that will put them in great distress and once again, even at more risk for suicide. Instead of helping children, it seems like the government wants to kill off LGBTQ+ children instead. Why put children in danger instead of trying to help them? Additionally, teachers won’t be able to step up to defend students that are being bullied for being gay. All this does is encourage harm toward the community and imply that people should harm them. 

Lastly, if this bill is passed, it would put an even stronger stigma on the LGBTQ+ community. There is already a lot of ignorance around the LGBTQ+ community and stereotypes of what LGBTQ+ people are, but if this bill is passed, it will erase any positive knowledge of the community entirely. New generations won’t understand the community at all and members of it will be in hiding, so even the idea of being gay might seem illegal or criminal as if it was the 1950s. Members will also be more vulnerable to discrimination and hate crimes. Additionally, what about older members of the community? The passage of a bill like this could even threaten them because the younger generations will see them with a lot of unknowledgeable hate, and with the passage of one bill even more could follow. 

In conclusion, Missouri’s latest anti-gay bill is a detriment to childrens’ health not only because it will skew their ideas of biology, but it will also put them at risk of somebody hurting them or them hurting themselves. Instead of sitting back and letting this bill get through congress, go online and fill out petitions and look for protests in the area. Fight the spread of these new dystopian-type laws not just for the LGBTQ+ community, but for the well being everybody.