Winter Whirl

South to host first winter dance in 3 years on Saturday

Patrick Smith

Senior PREP members Imran Khan and Danial Khurshid work on planning the entertainment for the Sno-Ball dance.

After a two-year hiatus, the Patriot Representatives are bringing back the winter dance. 

The Sno-Ball will take place this Saturday,  from 7-10 p.m. in Gym C. 

The dance will be similar to Homecoming, but with a winter theme and feeling.

The last time South had a winter dance was in 2020, a month before schools closed for the pandemic. 

The senior members of PREPS  made the decision to bring back the winter dance. They are the only grade that had a winter dance in their high school career.

Senior Class President Ben Nava talks about his reasoning for bringing back the winter dance.

“We decided to bring it back because it hasn’t occurred since 2020, so I thought it would be nice for school spirit and student engagement,” said Nava.

Nava gives some details about what the dance will look like.

“We plan to have it similar to Homecoming dance, where it’s semi-formal, it would be a lot smaller, Gym C. We want it to be more accessible by making the prices lower. Homecoming was $17, while this is $10. There will also be a photo booth, DJ, and concession stand,” said Nava.

Nava gave an insight into the dance planning process.

“First suggesting that we should have the winter dance. After that, we assembled a team that was interested in helping. I had to come up with a to-do list. Right now we’re working on advertising. The last step is having the dance, hopefully successful,” said Nava.

Student Body Vice President Mia Muckerman mentions her memories of the last winter dance in 2020. Let’s find out what type of dance it was that year.

“I personally had a lot of fun at our winter dance during my freshman year and we have an opportunity to bring it back,” said Muckerman.

Muckerman mentions that the winter dance was something she had on her mind since the beginning of the school year.

“I thought about it at the beginning of the year and by asking my friends, all of my friends were excited about it, so we had a lot of support for it,” said Muckerman.

While the Patriot Representatives are feeling comfortable with all the work they’ve done, there’s still an issue, according to Muckerman

“The only issue is if we don’t sell enough tickets,” said Muckerman.

In order to get the word out, Patriot Representatives have put a lot of effort into marketing and promoting the dance. Junior Isabelle Schjenken is in charge of marketing the dance. 

We are promoting the dance by working together on making videos, discussing the event around school, or hanging up posters,” said Schjenken.

Schjenken mentions that Instagram is the most effective tool for spreading the word.

“The most effective way to spread awareness about the dance is through Instagram posts. That is where a lot of people get information about things happening around the school, so I definitely feel like it’s the best place for promoting the dance,” said Schjenken.

Schjenken explains how the advertisements for the winter dance aren’t too different from how other school events are promoted.

“I definitely think that the winter dance promotions are very similar to advertising for other events just through the methods that we use,” said Schjenken.

Similar to homecoming, there’s a dress-up day for the week leading up to the dance. Flannel Day, Zoom Day, Superbowl Day, Pre-K day, and Twin Day

Close to 200 tickets have been purchased. 

After all of their hard work, the Patriot Representatives are excited to have the winter dance return.

Buy tickets to the dance,” said Muckerman.