Zestful Zerman

Science teacher Brad Zerman is the October Teacher of the Month.

Mr.+Zerman+takes+a+picture+with+one+of+his+Biology+classes.+

Patriotpride76 Instagram

Mr. Zerman takes a picture with one of his Biology classes.

One thing the South High chapter of the National Honor Society takes pride in is awarding the Teacher of the Month. The organization does this as a way to recognize, and reward teachers for their great work with teaching students but also their efforts to connect with them. 

Biology teacher Brad Zerman is October’s Teacher of the Month. 

When Zerman commented on his job at South High and being honored with this award.

“I’m very honored to receive the NHS Teacher of the Month!  It is always nice to receive some recognition from students. My favorite thing about teaching is the students! Getting to know new students every year and getting to see how they grow and mature throughout their high school careers. One of my favorite things about the South is the people. From staff to students, everyone is so friendly and it makes it easy to come to work! An important lesson I’ve learned is that you never know what others are going through in their lives, so I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Finally, one piece of advice I’d give to new teachers is Overplan!  Also, know that things will not go according to plan so be ready to change plans on the fly!” 

Science teacher Kim VanNice works with Zerman on a daily basis. She said she loves being his colleague. 

“I have worked with Mr. Zerman for a little over 3 years. Mr. Zerman is always fun and outgoing.  He is always willing to lend a hand to anyone when needed.  He keeps his students engaged and delivers the information in a fun way for his students. He also is great at building relationships with kids and always showing them respect,” she said. 

It’s safe to say that his co-workers love working with him and find him deserving of this award but it also applies to his students as well. Senior Nikki Dittmeier has Zerman as her ac. Lab teacher. She thinks very highly of Zerman and has no problem expressing it. 

“Mr. Zerman is my favorite teacher ever. The only job he would be better at than a teacher is a biologist. He’s also a god at the Wordle,” she said.