Farewell, Dr. Aitch!!

After 22 years at South High, Principal Patrice Aitch to retire at end of school year.

After 22 years at South High, Principal Patrice Aitch is retiring at the end of this school year.

“I came upon when looking at the retirement system that I could retire, it was probably the hardest decision I’ve had to make. It was hard trying to figure out what I’d do if I retired, it’s such a personal decision, one that took a long time to decide. I’m just going to miss seeing all the amazing things students have done, knowing I’m not going to be a part of that on a daily basis anymore,” she said. 

The main thing that made deciding to retire so difficult, Atich said, was leaving behind the South High community that she has seen grown since her time as assistant principal, to now being principal at South. 

“South is a very unique place, because of the people who are here, and more so, how everyone connects with one another, the going out of their way to help a friend. As someone from a small town, when I came here as an AP, there were around 2100 students, and seeing the principal make such a large school seem so small and connected like its own small town was amazing to me,” she said. 

Along with making connections with students, Dr. Aitch made connections with fellow assistant principals, teachers, staff members, and parents. One of the staff members Aitch has worked with the longest, is Assistant Principal Angie Pappas-Muyco, who has known Aitch for 13 years.

“I am going to miss her positive spirit. We can always count on Dr. Aitch to be there when we need her. There are so many fun memories! Her dedication to South High is unmatched,” Pappas-Muyco said. 

Although Aitch will miss the relationships she has built with students, parents, and fellow co-workers, she said she is excited to look more into her hobbies and discovering more about herself.

“I think right now, I tell everyone I plan on taking a gap year. In a lot of ways, I feel like a senior who doesn’t know what they want to be when they grow up. But I am excited to spend more time with family, traveling, beekeeping, glass-blowing, and I’m really excited about getting out volunteering around the community. I want to continue on that path of helping and meeting people, and honestly, I do want to look deeper into my family’s history.” 

Although Dr. Aitch admits she’s excited to spend some time with her hobbies and family, she will miss the community she surrounded herself within her 22 years at South.

“Teaching is not like any other profession, no one can express the grandeur or the dynamics of what actually takes place. No matter how much money you make or not, are you really happy is the question? We sometimes focus too hard on the negative and small things, but when you step back and look again, it’s awesome, amazingly awesome, I’m very blessed,” she said.