Once a Patriot, always a Patriot

Some South teachers were also South students.

Have you ever imagined coming back to teach at your old high school? Well, for a lot of our teachers, it became a reality. 

There are so many alumni that now walk the halls as teachers. These teachers include Kim Mitaksov, John Barnabee, Susan Hermann, Stacey Larson, Ryan Evers, and more. 

Many things have changed since they were here, with all new parts of the building, and a new schedule.

New teacher, John Barnabee has noticed a lot of changes since he graduated from South in 2010.

“There’s a new lunchroom, science wing, and logo. They also added in a turf field in the stadium that I wish I could have played on when I was on the team,” said Barnabee.

Throughout the years, the schedule has also changed.

“The schedule used to be so complicated that my friends and I would print ours upside down on a T-shirt so that we could see it throughout the day,” said science teacher Kim Mitaksov.

Mitaksov graduated from South in 1995, and she recalled some of the traditions that they used to do.

“Spirit week was done by class. Each grade level would come in the night before their day and decorate the school, and then dress up in theme the next day. It was a really fun activity that I wish we still did!” said Mitaksov. 

Coming back to teach at your old high school might be a little intimidating. This was especially the case for math teacher Ryan Evers, who graduated in 2004.

“The first day of my teaching orientation, I had to sit around a table with all of my old teachers. It felt so weird that I was now one of them,” said Evers.

As a teacher, you never know which of your students might come back to teach, and some might even want their students to come back, like art teacher Stacey Larson. Larson graduated in 2009. She was student body president her senior year.

“I’m excited to see the transition that I made with old students coming back. I would really like to work with a few of my former students!” Larson said.