Hemal is proud of Nepalese roots

Freshman Bigyat Hemal celebrates his Nepalese heritage.

Freshman Bigyat Hemal with his parents and brother.

Bigyat Hemal is a freshman at South this year, but he wasn’t always destined to become a Patriot. Hemal was born in the South Asian country of Nepal, most famous for the tallest mountain in the world, Mount Everest.

“I was born there [Nepal] and lived there for a while. I don’t remember much because I moved here when I was only a few years old, but I definitely would like to go back and visit again,” he said.

Despite leaving the country at a young age, his Nepalese culture followed him to the States.

“My parents and grandparents are all from Nepal and had lived there their whole lives. I definitely see my heritage at home especially through language and the amazing food we eat,” Hemal said.

Hemal went further to explain his knowledge of Nepali language.

“My parents speak in Nepali a lot,” he said. “I can only say a few basic terms and phrases and understand what my family is saying, so I wouldn’t say I am fluent in it, but I definitely am familiar with the language.”

His first name, Bigyat, is also Nepali.

“I looked up my name’s meaning and I’m pretty sure it means ‘intelligence,’” Hemal said.

He also loves the food his parents make with the roots of their Nepalese culture.

“They [his parents] frequently make rice, curry, and my favorite Nepalese chicken dish!” he said. “It’s awesome to be able to enjoy a style of food unique to me and my family that isn’t something that many other people around here get the chance to experience.”

Hemal also shared a fun fact about Nepal.

“I think it’s super cool that Nepal is the only country in the world that has a flag that is a circle! It really makes it stand out from other countries,” he said.