Win was emotional for Patriots

December 18, 2018

For the first time in 17 years, the Parkway South High School varsity cheerleading is now the best in state. They will be in Dallas, Texas for nationals from Jan. 26-Jan.27.

“It’s really nice being the state champions. It’s very validating for all of the work we put in to get here,” said Brendan Davis, junior.

Davis is not the only one that is excited about being best in state.

¨It feels great to finally win state. We’ve been working towards this since my sophomore year, and I think we deserved to win from all of our hard work,¨ said Cameron Vitale, senior.

Taylor Farmon, head coach of Varsity Cheer agreed.

¨It is such a great feeling when you’re able to say you’ve accomplished one of your goals. One thing a lot of people don’t realize is that this state championship win was more than just the work put in this school year. The team deserved this win but I always tell them it’s hard getting to the top but it’s even harder staying there so our hard work will continue. Stay tuned,¨ Farmon said.

One of the team captains, senior Clara Franz, is also excited about winning.

“It’s exciting because the last few years we got third and second,” said Franz.

According to Davis their success came from this year’s new cheerleaders.

¨Well we brought up a lot of new talent so this year’s team is bigger. We were very determined. We made sure everyone was pulling their equal weight,¨ said Davis.

However, Franz differs on the factors that made the varsity cheer team first in state.

¨I think we all just knew we were capable, so we just put in the time and work,¨ said Franz.

According to Davis, the practice schedule changes when competitions come up.

“Typically we have 2 practices a week but the month of [the competition] we have 3-5,¨ said Davis.

Franz said that, after all the practicing, they really have very little time to rehearse before the competition begins.

“Usually we get there really early,” said Franz, ”but we only get ten minutes to practice.”

Franz has done cheer since even before high school.

“I started in 8th grade and cheered all 4 years in high school,” said Franz

While Franz started in middle school, Davis had a different story.

“I only started my freshman year,” said Davis, “but before that I was a gymnast for years.”

Franz says that one of the team’s strengths is their ability to help each other whenever needed.

¨We’re all good at helping each other and giving constructive criticism,¨ said Franz.

However, Farmon thinks the team’s ability to recover is their biggest strength.

This team’s strength and weakness is their ability to recover. We’ve had quite a few injuries this year. Each person brings something different to the team and our routine is choreographed to highlight everyone’s strengths and the value they add so when we lose someone it changes everything. But the team always recovers mentally and physically from that,” said Farmon, ¨At the same time, we strive for perfection and sometimes when we aren’t performing to the best of our abilities it can be frustrating and recovering from that is something I want to work on more with them.”

However, having strengths doesn’t safeguard them from challenges.

¨This team has fought through many challenges; injuries, leadership changes, and much more this year and their resilience and ability to trust and lean on each other through everything is, in my opinion, why they’ve been so successful,¨ said Farmon.

Vitale thinks differently.

¨Our weaknesses are getting defeated really easily, but we try to boost each others confidence to make sure we’re all motivated,¨ Vitale said.

Those bumps in the road have not stopped Farmon from admiring them.

¨I’d just like to say how extremely proud I am of this group,” said Farmon.”They are so deserving of their wins and I want them to know their hard work does not go unnoticed and they’ve made my first year coaching varsity cheerleading so memorable. I love you all!¨

Treaty • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in