Sports writer David Rogers

High school is an opportunity to create a future for yourself through academics, friendships, sports, and memories. Parkway South has shown a large growth potential for these things to become a reality.
When I reflect back to my freshman year self I think of a person who was struggling to find who they really were. Constantly trying to fit into social groups and become involved isn’t the easiest when you’re at the bottom of the chain. My biggest influencer was my older brother, Drew, who was a senior at the time. Having a role model is definitely something you need to make your goals a reality. Drew showed me how you can be social, athletic, personable, all while making above average grades. Whether your role model is a sibling, parent, teacher or even a celebrity, you should look up to somebody who challenges your daily mindset. I ended freshman year becoming more involved with sporting events and even took up playing water polo in the spring.
Sophomore year was the time I found myself in a friend group of guys that I felt made me a better person. Surrounding yourself with a well-rounded group of friends is something that you need to have a successful high school career. Friends are the ones who will be there for you at your highs and lows in life. I can’t thank my guys enough for being there for me at all times. Becoming your own person doesn’t mean you need to follow your role model, but this can help create a basis for what you want to pursue in life.
Junior year was a time filled with ACT’s and college visits. The feeling of deciding your future was upon me and I was lost as to what to do. While my daily focus was making it on time to the junior lot every morning, I took most of the dances and sporting events for granted. While junior year had the largest workload for me I began to dream of becoming a senior. Watching the seniors celebrate there last day of high school seemed crazy to me, thinking that would eventually be me. Before I knew it summer was here and I had only one year of high school left.
Reflecting back on my senior year I go through the thought process of, “Did I make the most of it?” I can very well say I am proud of all the football games, spirit weeks, parties, competitions, and dances I went to. The memories were driven by my senior classmates and I feel a sense of commitment and accomplishment. Nothing is more important than your classmates and you should be there to cheer them on. Everybody wants to be the best they can be in life and it is your job to support them. The bittersweet feeling of having to leave this class of students is a daily thought that goes through my head. High school has shown itself to be a lifestyle that is easy and enjoyable. In the end, we have to graduate and move on to better things. College or whatever your future might hold, be sure to take what you learned those four years of high school. Try to make the most out of every day and don’t become hung up on the little problems life has.

Advice to underclassmen; attend all the sporting events you can and become involved.

David will attend Mizzou in the fall to study Business Marketing. 

Treaty • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in