Technology Critic Hope Allen

Over the past four years, I’ve learned a lot.  Well, that’s obvious; this is school after all, but I’m not talking about anything academic.  If there’s anything I’ve really learned while attending Parkway South, it’s that you have to realize what’s right in front of you.  Sometimes, you think you know what you want and may later come to realize that you screwed yourself.

There are some really great teachers here who will push you past your line of comfort, actually care about your personal growth, and acknowledge the work you put in.  Some of these teachers may be ones whose personalities aren’t your favorite, but you didn’t come to school to be friends with middle aged people, did you?

There is a category of “cool” teachers among the students, the ones who have great personalities, but don’t actually teach. What happens when they do something less than tasteful? Then, your view of their personality is forever tarnished. So now, not only do they not teach, but they also aren’t quite as cool either.  So remember that if you are actually learning something and getting the grade you deserve in return for your efforts, consider yourself lucky.

It doesn’t matter how good of a student you are, to your teachers, you have senioritis.  One slip-up, one late assignment, one busy night leading to not doing that worksheet for homework, and guess what? You have senioritis just because you’re a senior.  Even if the pattern is no different from years past, it’s still senioritis.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I know we’re all losing motivation; however, that doesn’t mean a lot of us aren’t still trying to keep our grades up before college.  Trying to fight them on this is useless; they are very sure in their analysis. I think it makes them feel better to think that their work isn’t getting done because the seniors are getting lazy and not for some other reason.  Don’t get yourself into trouble with unreasonable teachers.

Lastly, remember that there definitely are fantastic teachers/counselors/administrators here, too.  If a battle arises that’s worth fighting, there are people you can count on. And don’t be afraid to reach out to them.  No matter how normal life may seem or how perfect of a student you are, some challenge will come up. Use the resources you have to stand up when it’s necessary; you don’t have to deal with everything on your own.

Some people say that high school will be one of the best times of your life.  I don’t know who started this lie or why, but it definitely could be worse. If you use what’s at your disposal and choose your battles wisely, you can make the experience mediocre.  

Hope is attending Lindenwood University in the fall. She will study Interactive Media and Web Design.

Treaty • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in