Sandee bids farewell

Werner retires from South after 18 years.

Sandee+Werner+works+at+her+desk+during+her+last+week+in+the+building.++

Sandee Werner works at her desk during her last week in the building.

After 18 years at South, Parkway South says farewell to Sandee Werner, Student Activities receptionist and Patriot Renaissance sponsor. Her last day was Jan. 31.

Werner she said even from a young age she knew she wanted to work in education. Her father was an administrator and her older sister was a teacher. She said she’d always loved the idea of working with students and even spent years working in the Fox district before her time at South.

Assistant Principal Darryl Diggs has worked with Werner in Student Activities for the last six years. He said Werner has been an asset to South High.

“She’s relatable, she’s a hard worker, she has a lot of patience and she’s always an encourager,” he said.

For South, Werner has worked on Prom and Homecoming committees, helped with office work and the office workers in student activities, planned and executed the Renaissance Assembly and was in charge of the Pat on the Back program. In retirement, she said she is looking forward to being a grandmother to twin grandsons, who are due any day.

Diggs said Werner will definitely be missed.

“I’m going to miss her presence and her kind heart,” Diggs said.

Before Diggs, Principal Patrice Aitch worked in Student Activities with Werner. They worked together for 8 years.

“Sandee is a genuine person that truly cares and supports the students and staff at South High. She has an innate ability to think on her feet and make a decision, which allowed me to never worry about things being taken care of. In addition, she would always go-with-the-flow and could find the positive in everything!” Aitch said.

Senior Emily Davis has also worked with Werner on the Renaissance Committee.

“She had always brought such a positive spirit and was so dedicated and excited to work with us. She contributed so much to the group and we’re all sad to see her go, but very excited for her to have a happy retirement,” Davis said.   

Werner said there are a lot of things she will miss about South High.

“Of course most of all I’m going to miss the students especially when seniors pop-in and let us know where they decided to go to college or what they’re pursuing beyond high school. I’ll also miss seeing my friends and coworkers everyday,” said Werner.