Adventure is out there!

Outdoor Adventure Club is a hit as a new club this year

Courtesy of Mr. Richardson

Members of the Outdoor Adventure Club take a picture at one of their outings.

Outdoor Adventure Club is a nationally recognized club with programs in universities and high schools across the country: Auburn, UCLA and Penn State to name a few.  Sponsored by Dave Richardson, Biology and Zoology teacher,  the club’s making its debut this year as a bright new addition to Parkway South’s extracurricular activities. Its main focus being creating student relationships while providing them with opportunities to step outside their boundaries and explore what’s around them.

In the club’s first year they have acquired more 105 members, and taken groups of 20-50 on a variety of different adventures. These adventures including paintballing, hikes to Babler Park, Pickled Springs and even a barbeque.

Richardson revealed that the plans for the future are even brighter detailing overnight camp trips, mud wars and other action-packed outings.  Richardson said that what he prides himself on is the club being student- driven, and that all of the events are decided upon by student interest/feedback.

“There’s nothing like it.”

— Dylan Stuerman

“Making the club available to all students is my main priority which is why all club events are scheduled on weekends to provide a time with the least amount of conflicts,” he said.

Most clubs meet during the week which limits the attendance of athletes, musical artists, working students etc. He really strives to have a club that is diverse and is equally available to all students. Richardson said he believes in getting students outside and trying new things with new people.

What he stressed the most is that there is no due date on when students can join and that the club is always looking for new members.

What students raved about the most was that it was a club that gave them a chance to meet new people, and get outdoors.

“It’s cool when you get to meet new people, in fun and exciting environments. Just in the last few outings I’ve made so many new friends I had never even met before,” said junior Megan Ganninger. Junior Dylan Sturman is also a member and had this to say “it is one of the best clubs South has ever had,’ because It opens doors to different adventures that I have never done before, makes me try new things and meet new people, there’s nothing like it,” he said.

Outdoor Adventure Club has acquired a large following of student interest in the last year and is building an outlet for students to try new things and to escape the stresses of the school day-to-day. From hiking to mudslinging, Outdoor Adventure club is opening doors to new opportunities for Parkway South students.

“I can’t wait to see what the future hold for this club, and to see students will get involved,” Richardson said.