Be the Change

Junior Mia Schindler shows her love for students who were willing to share their story.

Be The Change Week has finally arrived at South and the FACS department has many activities planned for the event.

These activities are open to all students who want to participate and are willing to change the culture of the school said the weeks’ coordinators. 

Be The Change Week is a follow-up event from Challenge Day-which occurred in October. Only a select few were invited to Challenge Day, but everyone is welcome to participate in this week’s activities.

Senior Cara Donze said the week is about making the South High community more inclusive so everyone can feel some warmth at school.

“I hope to change people’s perspectives of others. Everyone has a story that you just can’t see. I hope everyone will feel more comfortable and happy,” said Donze.

The teachers in the FACS department have all worked together along with a few students to produce activities for each day. Monday was Free Hug Day, Tuesday was “Drop The Waterline”, Wednesday was “shredding your fears”, Thursday is learning about the effects of social media, and Friday is “how will you be the change”. However, they are planning to add another drop the waterline session on Thursday so more people have the chance to share.

“Drop the Waterline Day” was held during ac. lab in the theater where students were free to share their story and the hardships they have been through. Everyone was supportive when hearing a story by holding up the sign language form of I love you.

FACS teacher Ashley Winslow said she hopes to change the environment of school to be a more positive experience.

“I want students to have a better understanding of their school community and maybe come out of their comfort zone. Also to acknowledge someone else’s impact to the world,” said Winslow.

FACS teacher Monica Dickens said she also thinks students’ attitude toward each other need to change.

“I think we all go about the day only thinking about ourselves, but if we learn about others we can be more empathetic to one another,” said Dickens.

Donze said she thinks that this would be a good experience for freshmen since they don’t feel as comfortable yet with high school as much.

“It opens up the door to feel more like a community rather than a high school,” said Donze.

In all the organizers hope to make students more rooted in the community of the school so no one feels left out.

“If we think about it, we realize that we all have a story. I think if we can share openly about things we deal with in life, people will be more connected,” said Dickens.