The student news site of Parkway South High School
  • Mom-and-Pop Shops
    • Manee Thai
    • Astoria

Mom-and-Pop Shops Still Exist

You don't need to dine at a chain! Hannah shows you the great independently-owned restaurants in STL

October 4, 2017

If you are like me, a broke high school student, eating out is a rare occurrence. But when I do make the choice to sacrifice my gas money for a needed food outing with friends, I prefer to eat at family-owned restaurants.

While Mom-and-Pop Shops dwindle, I believe they offer the best food, service, and ambiance. At a local restaurant, your experience is unique to you; if you go to a chain, thousands of people across the country have just had your identical meal.

Besides the nature of the restaurant, eating at family owned businesses supports the local community. Mom-and-Pop Shops pay taxes that benefit local schools and programs. They are more willing to donate to charity organizations and host events. Several family-owned restaurants have even hosted events at South. Going to Olive Garden supports the corporate office in Orlando, Florida while going to a local restuarants supports the community of St. Louis.

Manee Thai

There are dozens of Thai restaurants in the St. Louis County area. It can be impossible to choose which place would be the best to eat at, but I have just made your decision really easy: Manee Thai.

Located at 481 Lafayette Center off Manchester and Baxter near the Dierbergs, Manee Thai looks like any Thai restaurant from the outside. But when you walk in, the artwork and lighting make the environment different, fun, and authentic. All of the servers are extremely friendly and knowledgeable about the food they serve. When I ate at Manee Thai my server’s name was Neon, and her name along with her quality of service, made her instantly likeable.

We faced many challenges as a family-owned business.”

— Tanee Meeboon, owner

I decided to order Massaman Curry and a side of Roti, and my foodie friend Emma from Kirkwood High School ordered Tom Kah and a side of spring rolls. My meal was 15 dollars and Emma’s was 10 dollars. Massaman curry is a relatively mild Thai dish made with chicken or beef, potatoes, onions, and a fish sauce curry paste over rice. The potatoes and onions absorbed all the flavor of the curry, and every bite was hearty and rich. Tom Kah is a spicy and sour coconut soup served with chicken or tofu. The soup is made with ginger, lemongrass, mushrooms, lime, basil, and cilantro. Emma’s bowl of soup was steamy and spicy but extremely refreshing. The food was so delicious neither of us had any leftovers.

Tanee Meeboon, the owner of Manee Thai, opened the restaurant with his wife and brother-in-law in 2009. His youngest daughter is a graduate of South High. He said that his family worked in the restaurant industry for over a decade before they decided to open their own restaurant.

“We faced many challenges as a family owned business due to the management of employees, which also includes our son and daughter. We work together and function as a team, but to create that type of environment, it took a while before everything fell into place. I’ve also learned that flexibility and caring for employees personally improves the work environment and morale of the restaurant,” said Meeboon.

Astoria

Have you ever eaten Beef Stroganoff? Many people who have are under the false impression that it is an American dish, but in reality Beef Stroganoff is a staple of Russian cuisine.

Some people may be surprised to hear that a Russian restaurant exists in the St. Louis Area. Astoria Kabob House, located at 12949 Olive Arcade Plaza off Fee Road near the Happy China, is one of the only Russian restaurants in our area. The owner said that she opened Astoria to maintain Russian culture in St. Louis.

Some people may be surprised to hear that a Russian restaurant exists in the St. Louis area.”

Last summer, my uncle got married to a woman who emigrated from Russia when she was sixteen. Their traditional Russian wedding reception was held at Astoria. Ever since the reception, I have been wanting to go back.

I made this trip with my parents and recurring foodie friend Emma. The service was excellent; our waitress was extremely knowledgeable about all of the menu options, and she was exceptionally friendly. We started off dinner with an appetizer called Pelmeni which are beef dumplings with dill served with sour cream. The dumplings were small and chewy and mouthwateringly delicious. Emma and I order beef stroganoff as our entrees. The dish looked different then I was expecting; the pasta was angel hair, the sauce was thick and dark, and the piece of beef were large yet cooked perfectly. Even though the dish was very rich and slightly too greasy, they flavors were exceptional and I ate the whole thing. My mom ordered cabbage rolls that were leaves of cabbage stuffed with beef and rice. The rolls were soft and the rice was a nice texture contrast to the steamed cabbage. My dad ordered a dish called Chicken Kiev which we learned from our waitress is the most iconic Russian dish. It was a fried chicken breast stuffed with a butter, dill filling. Dill is a heavily used spice in Russian cuisine. The herb made the chicken light despite the fried exterior and the chicken was completemented by roasted potatoes.

Astoria is a prime example of a well run family-owned business and I recommend it to everyone looking for a different kind of restaurant for a night out. 

Treaty • Copyright 2017 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in