Students discuss political, social issues in new club

Junior+Lauren+Twombly%2C++junior+Claire+Wallace%2C+sophomore+Kaden+Hubbard%2C++and+sophomore+Ollie+Gray+make+themselves+comfortable+on+the+floor+while+discussing+the+aftermath+of+the+Jason+Stockley+trial+during+a+Youth+United+meeting.+

Ubah Eagal

Junior Lauren Twombly, junior Claire Wallace, sophomore Kaden Hubbard, and sophomore Ollie Gray make themselves comfortable on the floor while discussing the aftermath of the Jason Stockley trial during a Youth United meeting.

Do you ever wish that you could voice your opinion about current issues to your peers, or hear the other side to a debate? If yes, there is good news- sophomore Kaden Hubbard created a new club this year  called Youth United.

“The idea for this club started last year when I was talking to my friend Lauren [Twombly] about it. We wanted to create a club to empower youth outside of school. We want to influence youth to influence the world and put their voice forward,”  Kaden said.

Kaden said his goal through Youth United is for everyone to voice their opinion on topics.

“Doing this will make students more open-minded about the other side of the spectrum,” said Kaden.  

Youth United’s first meeting was on Sept. 14.They had a practice debate on the Syrian Refugee crisis.

“From the first meeting, I can see that we need to have reform and discipline because it was too free,” Kaden said.“In future meetings, I would like to discuss controversial and global  topics like the Stockley case, LGBT rights, the Second Amendment, immigration, foreign policy, and issues in third world countries.”

Kaden said the attendees  will learn how to voice their opinions in addition to being able to voice their opinions.

“I plan to have more practice debates, actual debates, and lessons on how to debate and public speak,” Kaden said.

Sophomore Mia Schindler attended the first meeting of Youth United. Schindler said that the first  meeting was good.

“I did not know what to expect from Youth United  since I didn’t really know what it was. All I knew was that it was based on politics,” Schindler said.

Schindler also said that she would like to discuss feminism and LGBTQ rights in the future.

“I’d also like for us to continue to raise our hands to speak because people would end up dominating other people without it,” said Schindler.

Anyone interested in attending Youth United should go to history teacher Amy Hubbard’s room (1310) every other Thursday from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. Mrs. Hubbard is the sponsor of Youth United.

“I had Kaden last year in history class and he asked me if he could use my room for the Youth United meetings,” Mrs. Hubbard said.“I was available on Thursdays so I said yes. I am not the driving force of the club– just a warm body there that allows them to carry out their meetings.”

Mrs. Hubbard also said that she thinks Youth United is a good idea because students should discuss what they feel and why they feel that way.

“I was impressed by their first meeting,” Mrs. Hubbard said.