Congratulations, Mr. Jauss!

Science teacher honored in parade

South High’s very own science teacher, John Jauss, has earned the honor of Manchester Citizen of the Year. He was nominated by his neighbor for all he does for the community in the 19 years that he has lived and taught in Manchester.

Jauss’ wife, Julie, said she is proud of her husband. “He is always involved in something. Right now he is practicing for Seussical the Musical at our church while holding study sessions for his students in the afternoon. He helps our neighbors as well. He likes to be busy and likes to give back to the community,” said Julie Jauss.

Sophomore Jake Bode has Jauss for academic lab.

“Jauss is funny and nice. He is really easy to get along with, and he is just a nice person in general,” Bode said.

Jauss said he tries to not just benefit Manchester, but humanity in general. He participates in lots of non-profit organizations such as the arts and theatre programs in St. Louis and helps recovering alcoholics go back to college. He also takes part in mission trips down to Mexico to build houses for the homeless, but he says the best way to give back is teaching here at South.

“Helping students learn is the best part,” said Jauss.

Many of Jauss’ students said they love the way he brings a different, but fun energy to difficult chemistry concepts.

“He explains things in a way that I can understand. He makes it as fun as possible. He really cares about everyone succeeding,” said sophomore Siobhan Neely.

Mrs. Jauss said they have known for about a month when their neighbor rushed over to tell them.

“When we found out about this award, I was very excited and very proud. He is very deserving and he works really hard,” said Mrs. Jauss.

Mr. Jauss received his award from Mayor Dave Willson, on Saturday during the Manchester Homecoming festivities.

Mr. Jauss and his daughter, Katie, pose for a picture for the homecoming parade. Photo courtesy of Julie Jauss.

When Mr. Jauss found out he had won he said, “I was very surprised, but also humbled and honored. I have gotten a very positive response and lots of congratulations.”

Some of the students and staff have heard about this story and think he is a great choice.

“I think he is an exemplary Citizen of the Year for the municipality. He cares and gives lots of time for the community and makes it a better place,” said Todd Yeager, Jauss’ fellow colleague for 19 years.

Mr. Jauss says one of his favorite places to visit in Manchester is Señor Pique. He loves their food.

He also loves the Veterans Park. He likes to walk through it with his family.

“It’s just a really pretty park,” said Jauss.

Jauss says that Manchester is different from other towns.

“It’s great for that small town feel, but still a large metropolitan area,” he said. “I like living in the community I work in. It helps you have a greater self-worth.”

Mr. Jauss is beloved by many of his students and colleagues. Many definitely think he is deserving of this award for all of his volunteering that betters the community in lots of ways.

“He is awesome because he is always willing to stand up for people. He’s the best teacher I’ve ever had, and I’ve only had him for a month,” said Neely