Parkway School District joins collaborative

The Parkway School district is now a part of The St. Louis Regional Collaborative, a group of local school districts aimed towards helping other school districts in St. Louis gain or regain accreditation, bringing a more equitable education system to St. Louis.

In September 2012, the state of Missouri decided to revoke the Normandy School District’s accreditation due to low performance scores and then Riverview Gardens School District also lost its accreditation; both low income areas and in North County.

The United States Department of Education defines accreditation as “A recognition that an institution maintains standards requisite for its graduates to gain admission to other reputable institutions of higher learning or to achieve credentials for professional practice. The goal of accreditation is to ensure that education provided by institutions of higher education meets acceptable levels of quality.”

Superintendent of Parkway School District, Keith Marty commented on the group, “The St. Louis Regional Collaborative is a group of school districts, like Parkway, who desire to assist unaccredited school districts like Normandy and Riverview Gardens. It is our desire to assist schools with resources—instructional and personnel—who can help the districts meet the needs of all students in the accredited district.”

Seeing this pattern, the Governor of Missouri, Jay Nixon in his monthly newsletters said that he “brought together St. Louis-area superintendents and education leaders in June in an agreement to provide a range of services aimed at improving the educational performance and financial stability of the Normandy and Riverview Gardens school districts. The goal of the agreement, reached after a number of meetings with the Governor’s office, is to ensure all students receive a quality education and to put Normandy and Riverview on a path to regain state accreditation,”

Marty, in an interview, says it takes a group effort to help. “ All school districts in the region believe it is important for all school districts to be accredited. Being accredited means students are meeting the State of Missouri’s educational expectations for graduation, achievements, attendance and student readiness for college and careers.”

Parkway is planning on helping by “providing professional development, direct assistance with instructional and teaching strategies, and supporting the development of rigorous curriculum and assessments,” Marty said.

Senior Daniella Catanzaro thinks “ It’s great that Parkway is getting involved and helping schools in St. Louis regain accreditation. I think that when some schools are doing well, they should lend a helping hand to those who need it. It’s a good thing when everybody is doing well.”

Parkway Alumni Cheyanne Haskins thinks “ Parkway is doing a great thing by joining the collaborative. I think it’s great that the Parkway School District is getting involved in the community, and helping where they can. I think it sets a good example to both the students and other school districts.”