Hannah DeRienzo

DeRienzo at lunch

Only 1,561 girls played high school football in 2011. Here at South we are lucky to have our very own girl on the football team. Freshman Hannah DeRienzo is breaking traditional traditional gender roles by playing a “boys’ game” at South High.

DeRienzo plays on defensive tackle on the freshman team. She said playing with the boys does not bother her.

“I don’t feel different at all, I am just like everyone else when I am playing,” DeRienzo said. “I have to change in the girls’ locker room, but that is pretty much the only difference.”

John Heath, head coach of the 5-4 freshman team, had this to say about Hannah.

“On the field there is no difference between Hannah and the rest of the girls. She came into the season later than the rest of the guys,” said Heath. “The only thing I have had to change was when talking about our brotherhood as a team, I mention being a good sister as well.”

DeRienzo said she wanted to play football because she was always sporty and she wanted a different perspective on sports, so football seemed fun to her. She had this to say after her first game.

“It was a really awesome experience to play with the rest of the boys!” DeRienzo said. “The whole game stood out as one my favorite moments.”

Freshman teammate Chris Thomas had a few words to say about Hannah.

“It’s interesting to play with a girl, she plays more aggressive than the rest of us guys play. Overall I think it is a good experience,” Thomas said.

“One of the biggest changes with having a girl on the football team is the pre and halftime speeches the freshmen coaches give,” says Thomas. “In years past they would always meet up in the boys locker room. This year the coaches have all the players meet up in Gym B.”

Women in football over the past few years has become increasingly more popular, with professional teams being created in leagues just for women, and women now getting jobs in the NFL. This past year the Arizona Cardinals had Dr. Jen Welter coach the inside linebackers over the summer, and the NFL hired the first full time female official, Sarah Thomas. The potential for women participating in American football can only go up from here.

“ I find it really cool that there are women who are just as good as the men in jobs roles that consist just of men,” DeRienzo said. “It is inspiring to see.”

Even though the number of girls in football has increased, there has also been a large amount of controversy surrounding females in football.  Critics say that girls are more susceptible to injuries such as concussions. Others say that women in leagues such as the Legends Football League (formerly the Lingerie Football League) give negative influences on girls across the country. All that girls want to do is prove that they can be like every other guy and are just as competitive as them.

“As a team we make sure to create a team atmosphere that is accepting of everyone,” Heath said. “We make sure the team helps each other in any way possible. Hannah does her part just like everyone else and does what we want her to.”

Clearly DeRienzo’s team appreciates her effort and she enjoys playing.

“When I play with the boys,  I am just another football player.” DeRienzo said, “I have a lot of fun playing a sport I love.”