South goes ‘under the sea’

Drama department to put on SpongeBob the Musical, Feb. 16-19.

Courtesy of Mary Murphy

Seniors Logan Carlton (Patrick), Mary Murphy (Sandy) and Jesse Norman (SpongeBob) finish a performance during rehearsal.

SpongeBob, Patrick and Squidward are coming to South High this month.

The South High drama department will be performing SpongeBob the Musical. The show will run Feb. 16-18  at 7 p.m., and Feb.19 at 2 p.m.. Tickets cost $10 for students and $12 for adults if purchased in advance. At the door all tickets cost $15.

Drama teacher Jennifer  Forrest-James said she came up with the idea for this year’s spring musical. 

“ I chose it (after a conversation with my tech director and Mr. Scott). I thought it would be a fun, bright musical after a year of disappointment and darkness. Also, it’s a new musical, so I thought it would be fun to do something new. And finally, given the large number of musical artists contributing songs, I thought it would be different than anything we’ve done in the past,” she said. 

The cast includes the complete catalog of  SpongeBob characters. Jesse Norman as SpongeBob, Mary Murphy as Patrick, Logan Carlton as Patrick, Sam Eads as Squidward/Lighting Designer, Ian McPherson as Plankton, Jacob Stapp as Mr. Krabs, and Anabelle Goggin as Pearl. The ensemble that plays a variety of roles includes Kate Ewing, Oliva Tipton, Byran O’Keefe, Julia Salzman, Lukas Martello, Samantha Lips, Annabel Rademeyer, Ella Evans, and Sienna Breen. The stage crew includes students Kyra Rhoades as Stage Manager, Tyler Guiney as Production Stage Manager, Alex Hood as Foley “Fish,” and others like Kyleigh Barnett, Lia Wyman, Carolyn Hosler, Noah Eads, and Zayna Fakhani.  

The musical will be different from anything seen before, as senior Marry Murphy explains. What will be portrayed in the musical is an original plot to the musical. They are not telling a story seen in a previous cartoon episode. 

“I think that the audience should expect a more developed and complex version of the Spongebob character they know and love. The characters face self-dilemmas and moral dilemmas as they try to do what’s right, and I think the audience will really enjoy the adventures they go on in this show!” said Murphy. 

The cast is always busy, practicing over three times every week, and sometimes every day as they get closer to the show, and even on weekends. 

“Rehearsals run from 2:30 – 5:30 on weekdays, and from 8 a.m.-Noon on weekends! I don’t think many people outside of the theater department realize how intense it actually is; it really can be a sport sometimes. Time management is definitely a skill that is needed to accommodate rehearsals, as we are still full-time students who also have lives outside of this show!” said Murphy.

One of the most significant and most exciting parts of the production is the music. 

“Some of the artists who contributed songs include: Panic at the Disco, They Might be Giants, Lady A, The Flaming Lips, Sara Bareilles, Jonathan Coulton, Plain White Ts, John Legend, T.I, Steven Tyler and Joe Perry of Aerosmith, Yolanda Adams, David Bowie, and Alex Ebert of Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros,” said Forrest-James. 

Sophomore Kyra Rhoades is the Company Stage Manager for the production. 

“As the Company Stage Manager, I am in charge of making sure the actors know all their parts and are ready for opening night. This means I watch rehearsals and take note of what lines and movements the actors miss,” said Rhoades. 

The whole entire cast and production team has put a lot of time and effort into making this show one to remember for the audience. 

“I’m so excited to see this show come alive in front of an audience! The actors have already put in so much work. I can’t wait to see all the technical elements (lights, costumes, a live band) all be included as well!” said Rhoades. 

Again this show will be like any other, as the entire cast has put so much in already to make this the best performance for the audience, and honestly for themselves as well. 

“Anyone who has watched the cartoons knows that all these characters have a lot of energy and big personalities–all the actors have worked hard to make the characters true to the cartoons yet their own, and it’s a lot of fun seeing something you know from growing up come alive on stage,” said Rhoades. 

Murphy also describes the show as complex and super entertaining. 

“I think a lot of people are often deterred by the idea of a SpongeBob Musical. But in all honesty, the only things taken from the TV show are the adaptations of the characters. The plot is complex, meaningful, and full of adventure, and I think people need to give it a chance before they immediately judge it. The cast of this show is truly perfect, everyone plays their part so well, and we all bounce off each other wonderfully. I cannot wait for the audience to see this show. I think it’ll be a show that all ages will enjoy!” said Murphy.

Forrest-James said this production was definitely a challenge for the cast and crew.

“I’m excited to see how we rise to the challenge. This musical is one of the more difficult shows we’ve attempted,” said Forrest-James. 

The cast’s excitement as the opening night rolls around is unmatched, according to Murphy. 

“I’m so really looking forward to just feeling accomplished that all of our hard work has paid off. I love working alongside such wonderful people while doing something that we all enjoy. The excitement is unlike any other,” said Murphy.