Romance isn’t for everyone

Patriots have differing opinions on Valentine’s Day.

Courtesy of Tatum Nelson

Sophomores Tatum Nelson and Bennett Diehl take a picture before having dinner and a movie at home on Valentine’s Day.

Love, chocolate and relationships were in the air on Feb. 14. Many students believe Valentine’s Day is one of the most romantic days of the year, but others would disagree. 

Bennett Diehl, sophomore, said he is excited for Valentine’s Day each year and talks about how his Valentine’s went.

“I stuffed myself with chocolate that my mom buys and watched movies with my girlfriend,” he said. 

Diehl said he likes to see other people happy on Valentine’s Day and that he likes to eat lots of candy. He also talks about the importance of having a date on Valentine’s. 

“I don’t think it matters because you can always spend time with other people you love, like hanging out with the boys,” he said. 

He believes that Valentine’s is more about love than having a date or plans. But on the other hand, some people could disagree. Sophie Ellington, sophomore, does not like Valentine’s Day. 

“Valentine’s doesn’t matter to me because it’s honestly an irrelevant holiday, but at least I get some food,” she said. 

Ellington said she would rather spend her time and money on food or Taco Bell. She also says she doesn’t like to scroll through social media on Valentine’s Day, because she wants to avoid seeing all the “cringy couples.” Instead, Ellington said she prefers to spend the holiday with her family. 

“This year I had dinner with my family and my mom got me a present for Valentine’s Day,” she said. 

Madi Geisler, sophomore, does like Valentine’s Day. 

“On Valentine’s Day I hung out with my family and friends. Also the tradition I have is that my parents get us a gift bag with candy in it,” said Geisler. 

Geisler said she had a date on Valentine’s, but it doesn’t matter if you do or don’t. 

A concern for Valentine’s was if COVID-19 was going to affect plans but Geisler believes it didn’t change anything. 

“I don’t think COVID-19 will change anything because most restaurants are open and there are still things to do,” she said.  

Sarah Dixon, senior, had good thoughts about Valentine’s Day.

I like that on Valentine’s day you are able to just focus on the people and friends you love the most and be able to tell them that,” said Dixon. 

Dixon did have a date on Valentine’s Day and she said COVID-19 did affect her plans.

“I went to the loop with my boyfriend, Eric, and then went back home to play games and just hang out. Yes, COVID-19 did affect my plans a little bit. We definitely had to be more cautious about where we went and how busy restaurants were. We just ended up going home instead of being out longer than we were,” she said. 

Dixon thinks that Valentine’s Day is not the most important holiday, but it is still important to tell people you love them.

“I don’t think Valentine’s day is really that important, but I do think the values of Valentine’s day have lost meaning over time. In my opinion, it has turned into more of a cliche thing with boxes of chocolates and teddy bears. I think it is more important to not buy gifts that have no meaning to you,” she said.