Amazon Addiction!

Quarantine/COVID led to many impulse buys for South students

Freshman+Corinne+Bale+shows+off+the+new+iPad+she+bought+at+the+beginning+of+the+school+year.+

Freshman Corinne Bale shows off the new iPad she bought at the beginning of the school year.

Have you ever checked your bank statement and asked, “What is this charge from?” and then with regret you remembered that impulse purchase you made? Maybe you have found yourself scrolling through Amazon for no reason? Well if so, you certainly are not alone. 

Students at South High made plenty of these purchases during COVID, due to the abundance of free time. Family time got boring, walking the dog began to feel like a chore again, and the options of shows to watch on Netflix were at an all-time low. Before you knew it, Amazon purchases were through the roof. iPhones, iPads, LED lights, new room decorations, and any other source of entertainment are what students began to turn to. 

“My impulse buy was a projector for my room. I purchased it because I knew I was going to be bored in my room for a long time. it made watching movies and TV a lot more fun. It was $65, and I don’t regret it at all,” said Emma Ries, senior. 

Most students at South explained that they do not regret their impulse buys, however, this is not the case for senior Adam Taylor. 

“I bought a volleyball net, I used it maybe five times, and anytime it was windy at all I had to put it back up, not worth the $50,” said Taylor.  

Purchases like these were made countless times, as students scrolled through Amazon. It was too easy, buying meaningless items filled a void of boredom for students. Next-day shipping felt too long, and the wait for anticipated items grew as more and more people began purchasing from Amazon. Students at South explained that they began brainstorming ideas of things to buy simply because they were bored.

“I actually never really thought about getting a projector for my room until lockdown, but I’m so happy I came up with the idea when I did. It definitely made quarantine a little bit better,” said Ries. 

Whether it was buying a ton of clothes, a new TV, or an abundance of puzzles, it is clear that everyone was scrolling through Amazon. But not impulse purchases were bought through a computer. According to Tatum Nelson, sophomore, her impulse buys involved coffee and her hair.

“My two main impulse buys were Starbucks and hair dye. I bought these things because I love coffee and I was so bored that I wanted to dye my hair like every month. I don’t regret these purchases because it was an excuse to leave the house and it was fun to switch up my hair color. I probably spent about $200 all together over quarantine between Starbucks and hair dye,” said Nelson.

Some students found themselves in trouble with their parents due to their impulse buys, and some were lucky enough to have their parent’s full support. 

“My parents told me that buying a $5 coffee all the time was a waste of money and the first time I dyed my hair they were angry at first because I didn’t tell them that I was turning my brown hair hot pink,” explained Nelson. 

Many students like Nelson, faced their angry parents, however, some were fortunate enough to avoid it. Ries said her parents supported her impulse buy so much, they had to buy another. 

“My parents loved the idea of me buying a projector and even eventually got my brother one too!” she said.